PM 1022VS

Capt45

Former Member
Just ordered my Lathe and almost finished the metal stand I'm building from scrap steel tubing (salvaged from a long ago idled Weider Home Gym). 2" square tubing and just the right amount to make the bench and shelving. A little Carolina Blue paint and it should look just right next to my Powermatic 3520.
Hope to have it in a week or two.

I'll be watching your progress, I'm trying to build up the courage to ask the boss for one. I can't get a reasonable finish on my MK2

Pic pics pics...when you get it. Congrats

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

One question: what's the preferred or most used size of cut off blade? I assume with a AXA QCTP the height would be limited to ½", correct?

For the cut-off work I do I grind a 3/16 HSS tool down to about .050 wide, .250 long. Works well in aluminum. But I'm only working in 3/8 rod.

One question: what's the preferred or most used size of cut off blade? I assume with a AXA QCTP the height would be limited to ½", correct?
I have used a 3/32"x1/2" parting blade on my 1030v. I have had good results with it, but for grooving, I usually grind a HSS bit a little bit wider and shorter. I have had luck using that to groove 304 stainless pretty fast.

Also, I have had my 1030V for a year and a half and I just realized how close the color is to carolina blue. As an NCSU student, I think a coat of paint may be in order soon.

Oddly enough, I just ordered a 3/32 x ½" blade this morning. Thanks for the input and I have to tell ya, I almost wanted to go with Kansas Jayhawk blue, but it just wouldn't look right.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the 1030.

I have a rifle to sell (anyone in Canada want a Mini-14?) and once it goes, I'll have the cash to buy it!

Just arrived!! I'll take a pic or two to show the Lathe on the stand I built. Going to be a lot of cleaning going on tomorrow.

Sorry to take so much time between posts. The Lathe is on the stand, cleaned and I've made some smaller projects and am starting work on some wood lathe faceplates. Got a stick of Aluminum round(3.25" x 3') to make the faceplates.

PM Lathe.jpg

004.JPG

Back