PM 1030V has landed!

NavyShooter

Registered
Registered
I got the call this morning from UPS (or rather, the local delivery office for them that does the freight deliveries) and they said the truck would be here tomorrow.

Turns out it showed up today instead! I'm honestly OK with that!

Here it is, coming off the truck and the guy's pallet jack which got stuck in the gravel...I offered to put down some plywood, but he indicated that he didn't need it. So, it got stuck in the gravel, I had to prop it up with a couple of chunks of wood to get his pallet jack out from underneath, and then he buggered off after I signed my life away.

This is $4200 in some small looking boxes.

20180227_145208_resized_1.jpg

Got things re-arranged, hand-bombed the base into the garage, and then hoisted this big box into the garage. Brought the lawn tractor/snow-blower back in, and then started unpacking a bit.

20180227_152204_resized_1.jpg

Yup. Looks like a lathe to me. Looks like there's no damage from shipping either, which is a good thing. There were a couple of scratch marks on one of the base cabinets, so it looks like it got a little bit dinged up, but the door opens smoothly, and it's only a bit of paint. not a big deal - it'll be hidden once the chip tray goes on anyhow. I got my middle minion to help me with this as well.

20180227_160613_resized.jpg

Here we go with the crate off, things unpacked and having a look at things. I am quite pleased with what I see. I packed it in early tonight...I'm going to be up early for work in the morning, but my garage has officially gotten busy again.

20180227_161119_resized.jpg

Those look like great lathes and the variable speed is nice.

I talked myself up to the PM1236 which I love but I can say 90% of the stuff I do would work within the 1030V envelope.

Enjoy and be sure keep sharing the pics!

Congratulations on your new lathe! Please do keep us up on your progress. :eagerness:

Congratulations on the new lathe!! I am also looking at getting the same one. I live within 2 hours of the U.S./Canada Border and my Dad goes across the border all the time (has a mailbox there). I was wondering what the brokerage and shipping cost to get this to your house? I am wondering if it is worth the extra time and effort to have it shipped to a location in the U.S. (local town hardware store in the U.S. lets people use there address as a shipping location for package to large for P.O. boxes) and bring it back across myself. Thanks in advance. Sorry i just found were you posted the experience and costs in another location. Please ignore this request.

Last edited:
Hruul,

Here's the blurb about importation costs:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/canadian-importation-not-too-painful.67180/

Summary - a bit of work by myself, and I spent just over $4200 (Canadian Dollars) to my door.

I did the customs clearance myself, and this was actually fairly straight forward. No extra duties, just the taxes, paid at the rate of exchange for the day that I bought the lathe. Had to pay $50 for the bonded warehouse storage/transshipment.

Last edited:
Current condition - Lathe has been taken off the stand and I'm busy drilling holes in concrete to install lag bolts into the ground.

I should have the lathe re-mounted at some point over the weekend.

Next steps:
-buy new masonry bit in the morning
-Drill holes for anchors
-install anchors and epoxy into place
-tape base area off and paint w/concrete paint to seal floor
-install base
-install chip tray
-install lathe
-level lathe
-make chips

OK, so here's some process photos...

Here's what the lathe looks like in situ....I set it on the stand just for fit/sizing/positioning to make sure it'd clear the attic hatch/ladder.

20180228_222915_resized.jpg
Based on this...yes it does.

20180303_151603_resized.jpg

This is a key element for this location. I was originally going to have a work bench here, but due to the attic hatch/ladder, I had to move that. A lathe with a depth of 22" will fit...perfectly.

20180227_162727_resized_1.jpg

Anyone have any idea what this little tiny threaded (almost like a grub screw) is for? It was loose in the crate, and I cannot see where it was supposed to go into.

Once it was tidied up and oiled, I took it all apart again (thank goodness for the engine hoist!) and then started doing the mounting anchors.

First plotting the holes:
20180302_201919_resized.jpg

Then some drilling:
20180303_141457_resized.jpg
Then going out to buy a new bit because I killed the cheapie ones from my drill set. (Ryobi...got a Milwaukee to replace it...NICE!)

20180303_141630_resized.jpg

This one is specifically designed for drilling anchor holes! Perfect!

Then I realized that I never properly bolted my mill into place with anchors, so I decided to put them in for it. Part of this was the cost of the Sika anchor epoxy - $21 a tube. YIKES. If I'm going to blow that money, I might as well blow it once, not twice.

So....I moved the mill out of the way (RF-31 type B096 from Busy Bee...got it cheap a few years ago.) Then I drilled 4 more holes, and cut four more anchor bolts.

Here's the Sika anchor cement/epoxy kit.
20180303_163552_resized.jpg

I got a couple of my minions to help tidying up and vacuuming:

20180303_163542_resized.jpg

20180303_141954_resized.jpg

Back