PM-103V topslide location

starr256

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a PM-1030V and find that the topslide location (about a quarter along the cross slide from the front) to be limiting the configuration options of the cutting tool. The thing that is constraining the topslide location is a hole in the cross slide. I am a novice with respect to what can be done with the lathe. I have two questions. First, am I missing something here? Second, Any reason I shouldn't drill a similar hole to locate the topslide at the back quarter of the cross slide?

You can loosen a pair of bolts under the compound to move and rotate it. That should allow you to position the tool just about anywhere you want to..

With respect to cutting on the front side, this is true. However, the limitation is on the ability to cut on the back side (motor in reverse).

I don't see the problem. Push the compound to the back of the t-slots and spin the toolpost. Rotate the compound if you want it on the other side.

Perhaps I'm just not visualizing it well. I don't really work that way most of the time. The cutting I do in reverse is mostly threading. Can you try moving it back and take a picture of the setup to show the problem? My 1127 is similar, so I can try it reproduce it here.

Back