PM-1127 Change Gear Table confusion

tyronejk

Registered
Registered
I have a new 1127 lathe that I'm trying to set up 32 pitch threading on. The threading table provided in the manual and on the lathe list an "H" gear. What is that? Maybe I'm missing something and that "H" isn't a gear at all.

This table is what I'm looking at (32 tpi on the bottom left):
T5fOseU.png

"H" is a spacer. You should have 2 of them in the toolbox that came with the lathe.

Just in case someone is searching for an issue with metric threads, I'll drop this here.

I did my first metric threads on the PM1127 over the weekend. I was going for M10-1.5. It's on the chart, didn't seem too special. So I set it up and did a scratch pass to test with a pitch gauge. It was oh so slightly off. So I tried it with a metal part and a test nut. Nope. Off a bit. After moving gears around and more test cuts than I want to admit..

I grabbed the 55 instead of the 50. :cower:

Things to learn...

1. Triple check that you have the right gears.

2. ALWAYS do a scratch pass.

That hair will probably grow back, if I don't do anything else stupid for a while... Meh, bald might be less painful! :grin:

i got a new one too,hate to say it with my experience, but i still can,t get my mind wrapped around the change gear layout chart,also,nothing said in book about feed slip clutch torque adjustments

i got a new one too,hate to say it with my experience, but i still can,t get my mind wrapped around the change gear layout chart,also,nothing said in book about feed slip clutch torque adjustments

What are you stuck on? We can help you get going. Let us know what pitch you want and we'll show you how to set up for it. After you do it a couple of times, it gets easier.

I haven't seen any need to mess with the clutch. Ideally, you never need it. :)

Just in case someone is searching for an issue with metric threads, I'll drop this here.

I did my first metric threads on the PM1127 over the weekend. I was going for M10-1.5. It's on the chart, didn't seem too special. So I set it up and did a scratch pass to test with a pitch gauge. It was oh so slightly off. So I tried it with a metal part and a test nut. Nope. Off a bit. After moving gears around and more test cuts than I want to admit..

I grabbed the 55 instead of the 50. :cower:

Things to learn...

1. Triple check that you have the right gears.

2. ALWAYS do a scratch pass.

That hair will probably grow back, if I don't do anything else stupid for a while... Meh, bald might be less painful! :grin:
I found that it’s a lot easier to thread away from the spindle with the lathe in reverse and the tool upside down. For metric threads, I keep the half nuts engaged and just turn the chuck by hand to get back to the starting point.

thanks for answering i don,t have a problem reading thread pitches, i have aproblem following the gear placement chart, until i read your post i thought the H might have meant hidden, the gear train shown doesn't show broken lines for this, i thought i knew what the vertical dash meant, but im not sure, if its directional, do you follow vertical dash, and ignore adjacent gear?got years of experience on laths all kinds, but all quick change, and no Chinese, as to the slip clutch, i can almost activate mine by hand,and i don,t want to tighten it beyond torque, not even sure if you can adjust,as the lathe is still setting on floor while i fab, hd steel table didn't mean to talk so much

That line shows which gears should be meshed together.

Back