PM-1127 quill indicated .005 the whole length

Wonderclam

Registered
Registered
I have PM-1127 lathe and I indicated by setting an indicator on the carriage, and moving the carriage while the dial indicator is on the tailstock quill. I got .015 difference between 3.5 inches along the quill by moving the carriage back and forth.

But when I put the indicator on the quill with the quill all the way inside the tailstock and if I move the tailstock handwheel to push the quill all the way out, I'm only getting .0005

What's going on here? Which is the correct way of indicating to see if the tailstock is straight to the ways?

The second approach is not telling you anything. The first approach is the correct thing, but I would leave the carriage stationary and move the tailstock on the ways, it should give a result nearly zero - zero; if it is out as much as you saw, it is awful!

Snugged up the bolts front and back and now the entire length is down to .005

There's another set screw under the tailstock handwheel that I'm messing with

I put an indicator on my PM-1127 tailstock quill and moved the tailstock back and forth. I'm getting .005 difference from the entire length of the quill. There's a little set screw under the handwheel. Does that have anything to do with it?

What are you trying to measure? Whether the tailstock quill is straight and level to the ways or if the tailstock quill extends parallel to its sides?

Assuming you want to measure if it is straight and level to the ways, I would first extend the quill and lock it and the tailstock in place.

Next, set up your indicator on the lathe carriage. Use a large button contact—small points can go offcourse and affect the reading.

First, scan the top of the quill to see if it is level. Next, scan the side of the quill to see if it is straight. Make certain any reading you get isn't coming from the indicator stand flexing or shifting..

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I want to make sure when I'm drilling a hole into the workpiece, that it's drilling in straight
This was after I tried aligning the tailstock to the headstock. I notice that the left side of the tailstock shifts back and forth without anything to set it parallel to the bottom half

I got it to about .0012 top and side with the indicator

Now I just gotta figure out how to align the headstock to the tailstock, hopefully I get to keep that .0012

Drilling a hole with the tails stock, the allignment of the tail stock, (.0012) won't influence the drill/hole as much as the accuracy of the center-drilled hole.

Back