PM-1127VF-LB Component Weights

Jeff.64

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
1539665660396.png

An appliance dolly was used to move the lathe bed into the basement. The rest of the lathe components were hand carried.
IMG_0379.JPG

Edit: added the chip tray weight and corrected the motor without pulley and the apron weights.

1539664939349.png

Last edited:
This will be good info for others. Thank you for taking the time to weigh the components. I never would have thought to spend the extra time to do that. :encourage:

Wow, I’m not sure how I would ever use this, but it’s awesome nonetheless. If you add everything up, does it match the weight spec?

This will be good info for others. Thank you for taking the time to weigh the components. I never would have thought to spend the extra time to do that. :encourage:

Your welcome.

I needed to disassemble the lathe into manageable pieces. The location at which the lathe was received had a shipping scale near by. On way out the door to load the pieces into my vehicle, I just weighed them and photographed the results.

Wow, I’m not sure how I would ever use this, but it’s awesome nonetheless. If you add everything up, does it match the weight spec?

I guess I should have prefaced my post with an explanation. I do not have a garage or a ground level workshop. I have a basement where the bottoms of the floor joists average 69” above the floor... maybe that's the reason for the lack of hair on top of my head. Man, all these years blaming my mother's genes. Ok, back on point. My outside basement entry is such that a ramp with a reasonable slope would not allow a machine to clear the top of the vertical door frame at the bottom of the steps. I guess along with the removal of the steps, some sort of gantry could be constructed straddling the ground level cellar door that would allow me to handle machines possessing the “good amount” of mass. Anyhow, I chose the largest lathe (PM1127) and milling machine (PM30 not here yet) I could both fit in my vertically challenged workspace and appliance dolly down the steps in pieces. So, no PM-1236-T or PM-1340GT or PM-833T for me at this time. As a point of reference, I purchased a 24” x 24” x 3” surface plate from Grizzly that turned out to be defective. At around 200 lb, plus the weight of the appliance dolly, I know what I can handle moving into and out of the basement without invoking my health insurance policy. If I were 35 years younger, I believe the wished for machinery would now reside in my basement. Wait, 35 years ago, I had the opposite of disposable income. I just thought that someone reading this forum in a similar situation as mine might find the information useful.

The machine, as per Precision Matthews, is 575 lb. My total is 467.85 lb. I think the 575 lb value includes all of the standard accessories and the shipping container. My machine total with the standard accessories is 43.85 lb less than 575 lb. The 43.85 lb could easily be the weight of the plywood shipping container.

Yeah, I figured that was the case. Definitely a good time to go through the lathe and get everything cleaned up and dialed in.

Helpful info, thanks for sharing!

This is great.
I want to get an 1127 when they are restocked. I too have a cellar with stairs that will require disassembly to carry down the narrow stairwell.

My only question is. Does this void the warranty?
thanks a ton
Pete

I want to get an 1127 when they are restocked. I too have a cellar with stairs that will require disassembly to carry down the narrow stairwell.
PM1228 is also worth considering, from the specs it seems to be lighter in weight. Has some nice additional features. No reason to void the warranty providing you reassemble the same an don't break anything. Machines are routinely serviced/taken apart and also broken down to move. The warranty covers a manufacturing defect within the specified time period. QMT is very reasonable about warranty parts from my experience and others.

Thank you for the reply.
I was considering the 1228 but to equip it with a similar 4 jaw with stand it is nearly $800 more for one inch in length and swing. I would also have to run a dedicated 230 volt line from an almost full panel. With the extra cost and an electrician it would not be cost effective for the small amount of work the 1127 can handle nicely. I just hope I can get it before the tariffs go up.
Pete

Back