PM-1127VF-LB - The long wait.....

I would send a PM to Rayc above your post. He is Matts man for PM machines.

Rick

I would send a PM to Rayc above your post. He is Matts man for PM machines.

Rick

All,

Due to chronic supply problems with the factory that produces those machines, we are no longer taking pre-orders for them. When they arrive, we will call back the folks who wish to be notified and we'll otherwise get word out that some are available once they are in the warehouse. I will not mention when they will (or might) be coming in. It causes way too much disruption on the phone, email and various Internet groups/lists... The supply issue with those machines cost us a pound of flesh and many thousands of dollars in goodwill compensation.

Also, I cannot comment on what tooling will come with them as, Matt is re-negotiating the package.

Ray

WOW. Interesting forum to read. I must admit though I agree whole heartedly with a lot of Ray's comments on quality. I have seen in my field (carpenter by trade) just how many people out there can find ways to cut a corner and make something look pretty that is really ugly beneath the surface. I'm pretty sure we have all had at least one of those experiences where it would have been easier to do something right the first time than fix it after the fact. So for me I am just seriously glad I haven't heard of QM doing peronal loans to finance a purchase from them. If they did I'd just make payments on one and have one arrive here whenever they have one free for a poor guy up north. LOL My wife on the other hand would likely kill me if I started to get into a new trade (or ordered something that would take up a good corner in the packed garage right now).

Just from what I have read on all the forums and experienced in my trade and on a lot of job sites, I'd rather have that piece of mind and get a machine from Matt. I like what I have read on his quality control and higher standards. But then again if it was one of the tools I use every day I doubt I could wait 6 months for something to arrive. But for a hobby I'd be in no rush myself if I knew I was going to be getting something I'd be happy with.

Just my opinion from a non-metal metal worker that wants to learn the trade. I may not be qualified to speak on metal lathes in particular but from tools in general I prefer the tools you know are going to work properly when they arrive at your door and will last a long time (they will always beat a questionable cheapy any day).

One day though I sure hope Matt gets a call from me saying... I want to order from you today, send me my 1127.

Interesting thread. I just discovered the 11-27 VF LB. I want one. I called them this morning and she said they expect them to arrive in about 10 weeks. Unless someone says something really bad about that lathe, I may pull the trigger this afternoon. It is just a 100 bucks to reserve one.

There are several things I like better than the Sieg SC8. Switches and knobs intimidate me much less than inscrutable touch pads (if they don't work). It also comes with a 6" chuck and most of the accessories you need, including a QCTP.

Last edited:
I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I am now a proud new waiter-for-it-to-arrive of a PM-1127-VF-LB lathe. Current estimation is 10 weeks.

Congrats! The waiting is the hardest part... :)

I've waited that long before, WR. It was 3-4 months before I got my mill from Grizzly. That was worse because I didn't have a mill. I have a lathe (actually 2 of them) so it isn't so urgent. Besides, it will give me time to figure out how to pay for it.

I can also use the waiting time to imagine what I want to put it on. I don't think I like the standard lathe stands. I want to put it on something with drawers that can be moved fairly easily, maybe with a small pallet jack. My Powermatic table saw has crank-down wheels. That would be a good solution. Much to consider.

Just put my order in for a PM-1127VF-LB also. Matt sure is going to be busy prepping all these fine machines. Franko, Matt told me he had a new 12x28 lathe coming out and would be available before the 11x27's are ready to ship. He sent me a picture of a "rough" rendering and it's one or those "Sieg" touch pad models also. He also said it will have a "Brushless" motor.

I've waited that long before, WR. It was 3-4 months before I got my mill from Grizzly. That was worse because I didn't have a mill. I have a lathe (actually 2 of them) so it isn't so urgent. Besides, it will give me time to figure out how to pay for it.

I can also use the waiting time to imagine what I want to put it on. I don't think I like the standard lathe stands. I want to put it on something with drawers that can be moved fairly easily, maybe with a small pallet jack. My Powermatic table saw has crank-down wheels. That would be a good solution. Much to consider.

I know your lathe is longer, but as an example I have my SB 8k on a 40" tool box lower and love it. I made some little jacks to stick under the side where the pivot wheels are so I can level and get a stable platform. Plus the drawers are really great for keeping all your stuff handy right under the lathe. You of course would have to go to a 48" or longer lower, but I'm just telling you what I did. :)

I have my Grizzly g4000 on a 37" tool box on wheels and it's been fine. If you shake it it will move a little but that's the wheels. If that movement has caused me any problems with the lathe, I'm not aware of it. The PM1127 is about 150 pounds heaver than the g4000.

Tool cases over 50" tend to be pretty expensive and most of them I've seen are a little taller than I'd prefer. I have a good sturdy heavy steel tool case that's 42" long. I think I could make a sturdy enough top so the lathe could overhang about 5" on each end and still be safe and stable. The left 4 or so inches of the PM doesn't have much iron, so really only 6 inches of the mass would overhang the ends of the box.

I have an end cabinet for that box that I could permanently attach and reinforce to add a foot to the top and wheel base width. A steel base to tie the bottoms and to attach the wheels or whatever I decide on (a lever jack or screw down leveling feet) should do the trick. I've got 10 weeks to mull and build it.

Back