PM 1130VF-LB Here.... At last!

andgott

Registered
Registered
I got a call from the freight terminal this morning informing me that my Lathe had arrived... So, I drove down to pick it up today.

Everything was in good condition, and they did a great job loading into the back of my truck, even though the facilities there weren't really set up to do so... They had me back up to one of the loading docks, then used a forklift with extra long forks to lower the crate into my truck.

042518Intruck.jpg

After driving home, I backed into my shop and lifted the crate off-

042518Lifted.jpg

Oooh- That's pretty... Everything arrived in great shape.
IMG_0142.jpg

A short time (and a few choice words) later it was on the stand-
IMG_0144.jpg

I still need to bolt it down, but I had to quit for tonight... Hopefully I'll get it done in the morning so I can get going.

I can't wait to start using it!

Congratulations on the new machine! Is that a new model not listed in the QMT store?

I Finally got to run the lathe a bit... I absolutely love it so far.

IMG_0169.jpg

I made a couple of machinist jacks, a nice simple project to start out on. This is really the first 'complete' project I've ever done on a lathe- With my old Atlas I only made a handful of replacement parts for other items. She was old and worn, and getting accuracy of any kind was difficult to impossible.

This is the first time I've used a quick change tool post. I know I could never do without it now. The power feeds are great- I especially love the convenience of the cross feed. Really, so far I haven't found much that I don't like about it. Of course I don't have much to compare it to.

I've already got a LONG list of things to make! Good thing I have access to cheap materials :)

Congratulations on your lathe!

I see you’re from Athens - I live in Chattanooga. If your looking for materials check out the Steel Store in Chattanooga. It’s like an outlet shop for Sisken Steel. Their prices used to beat other sources but now I would say they are about market but it sure helps to not have to pay shipping.

If your just looking for small quantities and one-offs for material check out McMaster Carr their prices are competitive and there shipping beats all the other online places for me. They ship everything to me out of Atlanta and shipping is very reasonable. I have ordered relatively small orders and shipping is usually between $7-$14 dollars. I’ve priced out the same order on Online Metals and they would have charged me $40+ for shipping. The other great thing about McMaster Carr is that I can order by 6pm and have it the next day.

I also use eBay for a lot of Aluminum. Cut offs are usually fairly priced and many include shipping (check out Stoner Tools) it’s easy to order just what you need.

Enjoy your lathe - I have Precision Matthews (PM1236) lathe and love it. Keep us posted on your projects!

Congratulations on your lathe!

I see you’re from Athens - I live in Chattanooga. If your looking for materials check out the Steel Store in Chattanooga. It’s like an outlet shop for Sisken Steel. Their prices used to beat other sources but now I would say they are about market but it sure helps to not have to pay shipping.
I'll have to check them out...

I get the vast majority of my stock from a scrapyard here- They set aside the 'good stuff' from local fabricators and sell it by the pound. The inventory is varied and changes a lot, but they have good deals if you are a bit flexible as to sizes... I recently bought a bunch of 1 1/4" 6061 aluminum round bar stock, 40-44" long, for about $6 ea. Check with me if you need any Aluminum- I frequent the yard and make it down to Chattanooga pretty frequently and could hook you up.

The only problem is if you NEED a specific size, you probably won't be able to find it... So you can find something that works.

Back