Pm 1228-vf-lb Lathe Preparations

That's exactly it I got the speeds fronm the link to the owner's manual it must be changed the manual also claimed a smaller bore than the ad shows I just took it as a typo. Why didn't you also buy the stand? Please keep us informed on your lathe.

Sorry I don't know how to edit I also cosidered the other grizzly lathe but I thought the gearbox would be easier to break and it took more change gears. Probably like you I'm looking for a lathe to last so I'm looking pretty hard.

I can relate to that, Big Rack. Only you know what you plan to make with your lathe. It can be confusing. Buying machines is a lot like picking a girlfriend. You'll never find a perfect one. You eventually have to settle for one that will let you kiss her.

Look at just under your post. There is an edit button.

The edit button is only there for about an hour or so, if I remember correctly.

It is exciting that there might be new and comprehensive reviews of this unit. I ordered on four weeks ago
as my first lathe after looking at what was available in the 7" to 10". I was not convinced the 1127VF was
right for me, but my gut said it was in the goldilocks zone, not too big or not to small.

I know what you mean, Dan. It is as though Mat custom designed the PM1127 just for me. :)

Bill, I'm pretty sure the edit button is there for one day. I checked back and a post I made Saturday morning at 1:31 am (about 23 hours ago) still is editable.

I just copied and pasted this from that post a few minutes ago.

Franko, Yesterday at 1:31 AM Edit Report

The downloadable manual for the PM1127 is outdated.

Big Rack, (I feel wierd calling you that) I've been using a lower tool cabinet for the base for my G4000 since I got it. I like having my tools and chucks right there under the lathe, inside drawers where they are handy. I have a box that is about the right size and strength that will fit under the PM1127, so it seemed like a worthwhile project. I'm not going to save any money, but I think the drawer cabinet will be better for my requirements.

I've spent about $80 for the casters, $10 for the cast iron wheels, probably another $10 or $20 for nuts and bolts, $120 for the steel, and $90 for a 5' x 5' x 3/4" sheet of baltic birch veneer core plywood for the top.

Last edited:
Franco...

I have two PM machines in my shop... and when I built my stands, wanted a 'blue' color that would go well with Matt's color scheme.
Here is a suggestion: Go to your local big-box home store or hardware store, and get a quart of Rustoleum 'Royal Blue'... and just brush it on. If you practice a little with a decent quality brush, you can get it to go on like butter, the brush lines to vanish, and it not run. IMO, while it is not a match to "PM dark blue"... it is a fair compromise that looks good.

I also used Rustoleum 'almond' as the off white color... it is definitely less white and more 'creamy' colored than Matt's off white... yet again it is a decent compromise... And they are both stock colors off the shelf. BTW: The Rustoleum Almond... was almost a perfect match to the creamy color of my Jet 7x12 bandsaw.

GA, I checked the Rustoleum web site and they have an off white called "Shell White." It isn't as beige as the almond and I'm guessing it is a very close match to PM's off white. It is just about the same as the off white Rikon tool color. (Woodworld had Rikon and Jet tools on display. The Jet is definitely almond. (I have a Jet jointer) I think they make an 'etching' primer, too.

Well Franco, I can't 'edit' my post of last night, so maybe some of us get extra time... ;)

My little lathe is no where near (~300 lbs) as big as yours but I have it and my small mill both on 44" tool box lowers for the same reason you give: It's nice to have all those drawers right under the machine for stuff. I thought about putting one of those massive snap-on lowers under my 1340 but those puppies are downright expensive! :eek:

Weird about the editing differences, Bill. :-\

Take a look at the Harbor Freight 44 inch tool chest. They are very heavy duty, pretty well made and they put them on sale often for about $350. They are actually 42 inches. I picked up mine several years ago when they still allowed you to use a 20% coupon on tool boxes for under $300.

The problem with using the big lower cases is that they are too tall on the stock wheels, about 39". That's why I'm making the wheel set for mine.

Weird about the editing differences, Bill. :-\

Take a look at the Harbor Freight 44 inch tool chest. They are very heavy duty, pretty well made and they put them on sale often for about $350. They are actually 42 inches. I picked up mine several years ago when they still allowed you to use a 20% coupon on tool boxes for under $300.

The problem with using the big lower cases is that they are too tall on the stock wheels, about 39". That's why I'm making the wheel set for mine.

Not for someone who's 6'3". :grin:

Back