Pm 1228-vf-lb Lathe Preparations

Don't feel wierd with Big Rack it's from my cowboy shooting days, my initials are RAC and I'm a pretty big guy so not being very inventive and as you must have an alias in CAS that's what I came up with.
I think you got me rethinking the 1127VFLB is sounding better, I think I'm going to call tomorrow and see if they are in stock.
I do notice that in some places they say 3 year warranty and other places they refer to a 2 year warranty.

I'm pretty sure they aren't in stock, Big Rack. I ordered mine 10 weeks ago. The container should be here by now, but I haven't heard anything from them. I don't know if any of the expected machines are not promised.

Are you buying the basic lathe or the tooled up version? I'm looking at this same lathe and Grizzlies G4003 and G4003G, what conviced you? I like the varible speed I assume it's a VFD, I don't like the spindle mount and I would like a lower minimum speed. the G4003G with stand is $3550 shipped the PM is $3087 shipped with stand I'm kinda leaning to the G4003G. Did you read the manual about to make your chuck (if not concentric) run concentric that kinda scared me.
I've never owned either and am trying to get the most for my money.

I think the 1127 is an actual DC VS motor, rather than a 3PH and VFD. Might check Matt's website.

Matt's machines are WELL built... one definitely gets their $$$'s worth with them.

And Matt's customer service is the tops... :)

Currently the post edit time is set to 1440 mins/24 hrs from the time stamp of the post.

match to PM's off white

FYI, PM's white is not all the same. The older PM45s do not match the newer PM45s or PM932. Rustoleum Satin Heirloom White matches my PM1236 perfectlyl but it does not match my PM45. I believe Mike (ZM) tried using the Heriloom White & it does not match his PM1340GT or PM935.

FYI, PM's white is not all the same. The older PM45s do not match the newer PM45s or PM932. Rustoleum Satin Heirloom White matches my PM1236 perfectlyl but it does not match my PM45. I believe Mike (ZM) tried using the Heriloom White & it does not match his PM1340GT or PM935.

Thanks, Will. Does Heirloom White look bad with the other PM white? I mean, we are talking about painting the stand, not trying to touch up the lathe. I was also considering using a color they call Putty, which is a tan/gray or taupe. It wouldn't match but would be a pleasing color with off-white and blue.

While I'm at it, Mr. Wizard, how come some of the member photos have a green corner in the upper left?

This evening I re-squared my horizontal band saw and cut all the steel for the stand.
On one of them, the swing arm that holds the iron wheels and brackets, I got mixed up and measured once and I'm going to have to cut twice. I zoned out and cut it 16.5" instead of 18.5" , but it is cut square and true.

Off to the steel store again tomorrow. Fortunately, it was the least expensive piece of steel, at $4.71.

How come you never mess up and cut a part too long?

Thanks, Will. Does Heirloom White look bad with the other PM white? I mean, we are talking about painting the stand, not trying to touch up the lathe. I was also considering using a color they call Putty, which is a tan/gray or taupe. It wouldn't match but would be a pleasing color with off-white and blue.

I suppose that depends on how well your eyes perceive color, some better then others. I can definitely tell the difference from my mill. On my mill I painted the quill bracket with the heriloom white. It doesn't bother me at all but I can definitely see the difference. If you look in zmotorsport's lathe & mill thread you will easily notice the differences. That should give you an idea of how different the whites are.

My PM45 came with a gray stand instead of the "PM blue" as they say like on the new PM45s & PM932s. For very brief moment when I first received it I was sad that it did not match my lathe. But if I ever repaint the stand on my lathe it will be gray. When I repaint the mill someday I will use the heirloom white. I like it better than the stock white but maybe I'm just used to it.

While I'm at it, Mr. Wizard, how come some of the member photos have a green corner in the upper left?

The green mark is to indicate members that are currently online (if their privacy setting is not set to hidden). With some of the other styles, the online indicator doesn't work.

I suppose that depends on how well your eyes perceive color, some better then others. I can definitely tell the difference from my mill. On my mill I painted the quill bracket with the heriloom white. It doesn't bother me at all but I can definitely see the difference. If you look in zmotorsport's lathe & mill thread you will easily notice the differences. That should give you an idea of how different the whites are.

My PM45 came with a gray stand instead of the "PM blue" as they say like on the new PM45s & PM932s. For very brief moment when I first received it I was sad that it did not match my lathe. But if I ever repaint the stand on my lathe it will be gray. When I repaint the mill someday I will use the heirloom white. I like it better than the stock white but maybe I'm just used to it.

Thanks, Will. It took some digging but I found zmotorsports thread. It looks close enough to me. Maybe just a tad creamier than the stock white.

There is an old saying in color and texture matching... I learned this when doing remodeling projects:
If you cannot match it so the eye does not catch it daily... then contrast it so the eye likes it.

I have yet to find a 'match' for PM white... and yes the white of my PM935 is slightly different than the white of my PM1340GT... go figure. Since they are a couple of feet apart... one does not notice.
If I were to repaint... I think I would use the Rustoleum 'almond'... as it is more earth-tone... and also more 'oily'. Thus subtle oil stains may not stick out as much... :rolleyes:

Here is another subtle decorating thing we used in remodeling projects: Darker colors towards the floor, and lighter colors as one goes up.
The reason for this is one's eye goes toward the lighter colors and the contrasts... Personally, I would prefer my eye to drift towards the working part of the machine (where the parts are)... rather than the cabinet or stand or floor. This is probably a result of doing the color and texture choices in many a basement finish.

Hope this helps folks with their paint choices.

GA

Back