Pm 1228-vf-lb Lathe Preparations

The next 4 welds are going to be a challenge. I've practiced them plenty and I'm sure I can do the welds, but clamping it up level will be tricky. I don't have a flat and big enough welding table.

When I built my boat trailer, I set it up on saw horses and shimmed and leveled everything.
I'm too old to work on the floor, so I'm going to try something similar on sticking the frame together.

I have a 2' x 3' piece of 1/4" steel, but it isn't perfectly flat and about a foot short, but it won't catch on fire. The plan is to use that, and stand the frame up on machinist's jacks and other shims to level everything. I had a section of 3 x 3 x 3/6 angle that is very square. I cut some 3" pieces out of that to clamp the corners square with C-clamps. That system worked well with the test welds.

Ok, I'm set up and ready for the s3 wire spool to arrive. Everything is clamped, square and level.

The putty knife is to guage the gap between the parts.

Don't think that it hasn't occurred to me that I'm going to a butt-load of trouble to put wheels under a tool cabinet that already has wheels.

leveled frame_0487.JPG

sides clamped_0486.JPG

sides clamped_0485.JPG

Last edited:
That may be a great idea, coolidge. Hopefully, I won't be moving it much. It it gets to be to big a pain, I can always upgrade. Cost was probably a factor in choosing the casters I'm using. The ratcheting casters are twice as expensive, and I've already spent some serious money on this stand.

If you won't have to move it they will be fine. I know a couple people who purchased the style you did were kicking themselves later and wished they had gone with the ratcheting version. I hear you on pricing, what I found was I had to shop around I ended up getting mine for about 40% less than what a lot of places where trying to sell them for. I found the best deal on Amazon, only a couple weeks later though Amazon pricing was through the roof.

I shopped a lot to find the best deal on the casters I got. I think I gave about $45 each for them.
Everything in my shop is on wheels because of the variety of projects I'm required to undertake. I don't expect to be moving the lathe on any kind of regular basis. It is just important that I can move it.

The lathe has been in the newly upgraded shop for about 7 months. In that time, I've moved it twice. Once when I decided to put it on the other side of the room, and another time to move a couple feet to make room for the new shop press.

I don't expect the adjusting star wheels to be easy to turn with weight on them. But, I have a plan (to amuse God). There is a 6" deep ledge of thick angle iron between the wheels. Plenty of room to use a jack to relieve the weight on the wheels while cranking them to rough position. I'll do it about the same as I do when I adjust tension on my band saw. I count turns. On my band saw, it takes 20 quarter turns to remove tension on the blade enough to change and replace it. Then it takes 20 quarter turns to tighten it back up.

If I have to move the lathe, I'll jack it up enough to relieve the weight on the adjusters, and count how many turns it requires to put the wheels on the ground. When I set it back down I'll use the same process in reverse to get it close for fine adjustment under weight.

If that turns into too much trouble, I have the option to solve the problem with cubic money, if I still have any left. :)

All the big welding is done so the frame is melted together now. This morning I'm fashioning the ledge that the box will sit on.

Yesterday Matt posted that the lathe is waiting to be cleared in customs. So, I suppose it is on the soil of the USA.

I got an email from Nicole today. My PM1228 vf-lb is in their warehouse! I made a run to the bank to transfer some funds, and payment is made. I guess it is officially mine, now.
It should be on the way early next week. It is possible it will be here by next weekend, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

The hardest part of the wait for me was when my 1127 arrived at their warehouse. It may take them a week or two to get it out the door. I can assure you that you won't be disappointed.

I'll try not to get carried away with excitement. I'm sure the next couple weeks are going to seem longer than the last 12 weeks.

This durned thing is finally stuck together. Onward and upward. I welded the angle brackets that the toolbox will sit on by drilling 7/16" holes 6 or so inches apart, clamped them in position and filled them up with hot stuff. I hope I don't have to take them off. It rolls real good.

Dolly_0491.JPG

plug weld_0488.JPG

Back