PM-1236 Cast Stand?

The pics answered my questions, thanks.

I was thinking about raising up the stand too, you must be a tall fellow! I'm just under 6'-4" with a 32" inseam bare foot, that looks a bit tall, but my legs are not that long. I'll have to wait and see, waiting is the bad thing about the PM1236, at least its not months. The added base looks good though, nice execution with the choice of steel. I usually have to tweak the heights in my shop so I can work all day without too much pain. I'll probably end up doing something, I need to raid my scraps pile and see if I have something workable.

Glad that helped. The bases that I made are some 3x3 cut offs that I had. As adjusted now it adds about 4"-5" to the stock height. I am 6'2" but it seems to be working for me so far - I based the height on what I thought would be most comfortable for the controls.

Glad that helped. The bases that I made are some 3x3 cut offs that I had. As adjusted now it adds about 4"-5" to the stock height. I am 6'2" but it seems to be working for me so far - I based the height on what I thought would be most comfortable for the controls.

Good to know, I'll probably need to do a similar base then.

BF
I just received my 1236 with the cast base but my base are only open on one side and it is the back side. Something wrong here.
Really like the pedestal you made for yours!!

Z2V, seems they started going with closed cast fronts for the cast iron stands, Mine are the same way as yours.
But with the foot brake mechanism in the head stock side, and the coolant tank and pump in the tail stock side, no real room for storage in either stand. they may as well leave the front of the casting closed, it just adds a bit more weight and makes it a bit more ridged.

I do like the idea of magnets for the back cover, mainly for the tail stock side, will make it simpler to access the coolant tank to drain and clean.

I would rather the front be open for access because I have to have my machine up against the wall in the garage so access is very limited. I'm not sure if I will use the coolant or not but it will be very difficult to get to it without moving the machine. It is a good solid stand though that's for sure.
I like it in spite of

I get what you mean about limited space, But I opted to leave the machine about 14 inches off the wall, Its a tight fit, but I can still get behind it if I need too.

You may just consider leaving the coolant tank on the floor behind the foot brake so you can get to it easier

Reactions: Z2V
I think I'll do that!!

I finally unboxed my 1236 and the cast stands have sheet metal covers, no real storage room inside. I can't find the leveling feet, do they come in a box? Once I get some feet I'll be good!

Machine came undamaged, looks like I have everything else. Hopefully the feet were just set aside and I don't see them, but I only seem to have the plastic tool box, face plate, the tool holder box and the 4 way chuck.

One thing to note is the weight, my 43hp Kubota L4330 would not lift the pallet off the truck. Had to separate the stands to another pallet before my tractor would pick it up. But, it went smoothly once we lightened the load. My crate was in good shape.

Can you just make metal feet out of plate steel or are the plastic/rubber feet better?

Congrats on the new machine. Glad to hear it was undamaged. The palet and crate on mine were busted up pretty good but no damage to the machine. A couple items must have fallen out (chuck and live center) but Matt had replacements in the mail that day.

Mine didn't come with feet, I bought some but sent them back. The CI base was more stable sitting flat on the floor. Used a couple pieces of banding iron strategically placed and it leveled right up.

Enjoy your new machine!!

Congrats on the new machine. Glad to hear it was undamaged. The palet and crate on mine were busted up pretty good but no damage to the machine. A couple items must have fallen out (chuck and live center) but Matt had replacements in the mail that day.

Mine didn't come with feet, I bought some but sent them back. The CI base was more stable sitting flat on the floor. Used a couple pieces of banding iron strategically placed and it leveled right up.

Enjoy your new machine!!

I assumed leveling feet would be included with a new lathe, guess I was wrong. I better look again at my accessories and make sure its all there. I just set up the cast stand, so far so good.

Back