PM-1236 Cast Stand?

Is the access panels in your stands on the front side or the rear? I have seen some in the front but mine are in the rear.
In my excitement and hast to get it out of the middle of the garage floor I put it together and moved it in to its place along the wall. I turned around to admire my work and saw the drip pan leaning against the wall.
You can stop laughing now!!!

Is the access panels in your stands on the front side or the rear? I have seen some in the front but mine are in the rear.
In my excitement and hast to get it out of the middle of the garage floor I put it together and moved it in to its place along the wall. I turned around to admire my work and saw the drip pan leaning against the wall.
You can stop laughing now!!!

There are 4 access panels, one is louvered on the RH side. Here is a pic taken just now, I have 3 of the access panels off. I haven't leveled it yet, I'm thinking about raising it up a few inches on some tube steel and leveling feet. The cast stands are in decent shape, no chips yet. Just got it bolted together, my help was tired and we were late for dinner, so we didn't feel like caulk the drip pan. I doubt I'll use coolant, but I may run some clear silicone around the edges before it gets oily. I'm missing the live center too.

i-7cZBjqd-L.jpg

Last edited:
You got the good version of the stand. I just said bad words, I asked Matt about the base and all he could say is " I guess they changed them" . Really nice, congrats again!!

I orderd mine back in June, probably had my name on an older batch of cast stands. I'm looking forward to breaking it in.

I finally unboxed my 1236 and the cast stands have sheet metal covers, no real storage room inside. I can't find the leveling feet, do they come in a box? Once I get some feet I'll be good!

Machine came undamaged, looks like I have everything else. Hopefully the feet were just set aside and I don't see them, but I only seem to have the plastic tool box, face plate, the tool holder box and the 4 way chuck.

One thing to note is the weight, my 43hp Kubota L4330 would not lift the pallet off the truck. Had to separate the stands to another pallet before my tractor would pick it up. But, it went smoothly once we lightened the load. My crate was in good shape.

Can you just make metal feet out of plate steel or are the plastic/rubber feet better?

I did not get leveling feet with mine, I rand to the fastener supplier, and bought 1/2 x 13 carriage bolts , a handful of nuts and washers, I knew thatwould work since most my other equipment is leveled out like that

Unless Matt has changed things, leveling feet are not included with a lathe. It's on you to get those, as personal tastes vary concerning what works and what doesn't.

Or, you can do like Bogus and others have done and just use carriage bolts. :)

Yep, no leveling feet included. I think they quoted me $99 for a set they carry.

I just used my own homemade solution for now, I may build a steel base with leveling feet later. I just finished putting it together last night, the caulking is still a bit soft with the cool shop temps. Got it cleaned and all lubed up, its ready for the break in run and the first chips now.

I realize this is an old thread but still good info. Thanks! I found it after searching for images of the cast iron stand for the PM1236. I have it coming with the a new lathe but cannot find any images on line other than the ones posted here. My current lathe bench holds everything I use with the lathe and other things so thinking I need to find space in the shop for another cabinet. I have sent a note to PM asking for pictures or something of the cast iron lathe stand.

I have the older 12x36 cast stand that has a metal cover plates on the fronts, you could build some shelves in both legs. I use a coolmist system so I could remove the flood coolant pump and tank on the right side. Left side just has the foot brake linkage.

Here is mine from about three years ago. I do not recommend those leveling feet from PM, not enough adjustment travel. I'm 6'-4" tall so I raised it up on some scrap angles welded together. I guess I got about a 5" rise from it. Its nice and sturdy, I make parts for punch dies on it mostly in tool steel.

IMG_20180112_155708371.jpg

Back