PM 1236 Oil Change

ronsack

Registered
Registered
1st Oil change on a new PM 1236 after about 10 hrs of use.
Guys take off the top cover and really clean the bottom of the gear box mine was full of metal, just draining doesn't get it out.

2014-09-07 13.18.33.jpg2014-09-07 13.19.11.jpg

2014-09-07 13.18.33.jpg 2014-09-07 13.19.11.jpg

Good tip. I did the same thing when I replaced the oil in the headstock of my PM1340GT but it was spotless inside. I wiped it down and then sprayed some brake cleaner on a paper towel and wiped the gearbox out as well.

Thanks for posting up some pictures and reminding or suggesting this to everyone.

Mike.

Hey ronsack

Just got a PM1236 too, haven't even run it yet, but I've opened the gearbox and swiped a magnet in the oil, it came out with a good amount of metal particles/gunk on it. The gearbox itself looks very crude also.

I'm not sure how so much junk get in the gear box of those machines at the factory but at least we know it's a consistent "feature" of the PM1236 and to be expected.

I wonder if I'm not going to change the oil and clean that gearbox before even running it. Usually it's done after break-in but it might be a good idea in this case.

What oil are you going to use ?

Cheers

When I got the Grizzly G0750G I put three 1 inch rare earth magnets in the front of the gear box. They worked amazing to pull fragments and metallic dust out of the oil. After the fist oil change just seem to be picking up very fine particle matter.

I got power to my Enco today but I plan to clean the gear box before running it in. I have a bunch of killer magnets out of old hard drives. Powerful and disposable. I found ISO 68 hydro fluid at TSC. $25 for two gallons. So I have plenty to work with.

What do you guys do to keep the oil from getting everywhere when draining the threading gearbox?

What do you guys do to keep the oil from getting everywhere when draining the threading gearbox?

I used to use pieces that I cut from gallon coolant or oil containers to create a channel leading to my oil pan. Never spilled a drop on the floor. Now I use a Form-A-Funnel .

I used to use pieces that I cut from gallon coolant or oil containers to create a channel leading to my oil pan. Never spilled a drop on the floor. Now I use a Form-A-Funnel .

Exactly what I use. The Form-A-Funnel works great. I actually use it on a lot of applications where I cannot get a conventional funnel to work. Another one of those, "why didn't I think of that" tools.:shrugs:

I use the small oil fill funnel that came with our generator. Got 3/4 of a gallon in a jug last night out of the big gear box, then set it up with a 1 lb coffee can (remember those lol) and the funnel and will let it drip all day. Also pulled the gear box drive pulley and belts to make room. When it's coming out fast, I have to use my finger to limit the flow since the funnel is pretty small. For the lower gear box, I'll probably bend a small piece of .030 aluminum scrap to channel the flow.

I'll be cleaning the big gear box tonight - stuck my finger down there and it came back looking like the trans pan on the race car after blowing out the high gear clutches in the C4.

I use the small oil fill funnel that came with our generator. Got 3/4 of a gallon in a jug last night out of the big gear box, then set it up with a 1 lb coffee can (remember those lol) and the funnel and will let it drip all day. Also pulled the gear box drive pulley and belts to make room. When it's coming out fast, I have to use my finger to limit the flow since the funnel is pretty small. For the lower gear box, I'll probably bend a small piece of .030 aluminum scrap to channel the flow.

I'll be cleaning the big gear box tonight - stuck my finger down there and it came back looking like the trans pan on the race car after blowing out the high gear clutches in the C4.

Yuck, that doesn't sound good. Good thing you are cleaning it out before running it.

Back