PM-1236-T 12″x36″ Ultra Precision Lathe-Good Machine?

Titanium Knurler

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello All, I am considering purchasing the PM-1236-T ULTRA Precision lathe. I am wondering if anyone out there has experience with this machine and what your thoughts are? Thanks

Folks seem to favor the 1340GT over this. Not much more money, better warrantee, a bit more hardy. I also asked a similar question a while back on another thread. I still scratch my head a little on why more folks aren't buying these, but I am also leaning towards the 1340GT for my upcoming purchase. Go figure....

I don't have any personal experience with the 1236, but I do own a 1340GT. If you can do the stretch financially, it is one heck of a lathe in it's size range. I can repeat a dimension on mine to within a couple of tenths. And the spindle is short(er) for through-head work, yet thick enough to hang a 8 1/4" Pratt Burnered setrite chuck on it with zero issues. This machine is capable of daily/commercial work, and will last a hobby machinist like me a lifetime.

The 1236-T is also Taiwan made, and may even be from the same factory that the 1340GT is built in, which means it will have a similar quality level, if not the stoutness and work envelope of the 1340GT.

If you want the straight scoop, call PM and talk to Matt. He'll be able to answer your questions.

Thanks for your input! It does appear that many go for the bigger, more robust 1340GT. Just curious if anyone has any experience with the 1236 as part of my quest for a new lathe.

Thanks again!

I went through this 2 years ago and ended up getting the 1340GT. Absolutely terrific machine - highly recommend it.

Thanks for your input everyone. I hear many good things about the 1340GT but I have been unable to get any feedback from a 1236T owner as part of my due diligence before a large purchase. I guess I will be the first since I ordered one last night!

Expect to be pleased with the lathe and the support. I'm a fan of PM, not knowledgeable about their lathes. Yet.

Thanks for your input everyone. I hear many good things about the 1340GT but I have been unable to get any feedback from a 1236T owner as part of my due diligence before a large purchase. I guess I will be the first since I ordered one last night!

Awesome! Please post your experiences when you get it.

Sorry but you'll have to be second. I ordered a 1236-T last week and it shipped today. They are made made at the same place. the 1236-T is identical to the 1340 GT except for the stated sized difference, hp, hardened shafts and gears. PM's manual for the 1236 is the 1340 manual with red lettering indicating the specs that are specific to the 1236.

Sorry but you'll have to be second. I ordered a 1236-T last week and it shipped today. They are made made at the same place. the 1236-T is identical to the 1340 GT except for the stated sized difference, hp, hardened shafts and gears. PM's manual for the 1236 is the 1340 manual with red lettering indicating the specs that are specific to the 1236.
Awesome! Please post your experiences when you get it.

Ditto for you Gman! :grin:

Back