PM 1236 tool post issues

Excellent write up Jerry for a beginner like me. I feel like I have enough to get started. Excellent forum!!
Just one note: since you have a thread dial and if you are cutting imperial threads, then you don't have to leave the half nuts engaged (as Jerry did because he has no thread dial).

For cutting threads, you want the compound to be 29.5 degrees off aligned perpendicular to the workpiece. Which on most lathes is at 59.5 degrees on the protractor (as read from the front of the cross slide, or 29.5 degrees as read from the side of the cross slide... where there is generally no mark inscribed).

90 - 29.5 = 60.5
Just saying. :)

Tom

I left a comment on your YouTube trying to explain the steps to cutting threads on the lathe. Also I think your tool holders need remilling to get them flat. If it were warmer weather and my back wasn't causing so much pain I'd offer to mill them for you . Shouldn't take much about 15 thousands on the inside bottom. Question when you turn the hold down bolts how much force are you using. You may be bending them.

Last edited:
Just to add a note about Shars. When ever buying from them always check to see if the same item is offered on ebay. If so it is usually (not always) less cost and less for shipping. As an example I just recently bought a BXA#1 tool holder to see how they compare to the CDCO tool holders. They list for $17.50 on the web site and shipping to me was going to be $15 (insane). The same item on ebay was $12 and shipping was $6, a $14.50 difference for the exact same item.

only time it seems cheaper to buy off their website is when you are have a discount coupon. strange way to do business, since eBay fees are so high.

The first indexable tool you showed is using a CCMT 32.5 style insert, I use the same tool quite often with CCGT inserts. Not sure if you actually did try using that for threading but it's only good for facing & turning since it's an 80° diamond shape insert, not good for 60° thread forms.

If you are threading soft aluminum or finer threads on steel, instead of the modified flank method (feeding with compound set at 29-29.5°), try threading with just feeding the cross slide straight in. The modified flank method is the better way to thread (arguably) since it's less wear on the cutter, less tool pressure, etc., but if you're not threading a coarse thread you can get away with feeding straight in with the cross slide on a lathe this size. Align the tool bit tip with the work using a fishtail & give it a try.

You mentioned jagged/sharp threads. If you were using the modified flank method to cut threads, that's usually a good indication of the compound angle set incorrectly. This is a common mistake with Asian lathe owners new to threading. The compound must be set 29-29.5° off the cross slide or 61-60.5° off the spindle axis.

Many (but not all) Asian import lathes do not come with a full protractor for the compound slide like older American lathes do. Most of them indicate 0° when parallel to the spindle (like the PM1236 does, I have the same lathe). So if you set 29° on the scale you are at the wrong angle for threading. You will need a protractor to set the correct angle for threading as the scale on the compound slide is useless for that.

This is what 29.5° looks like using the scale, incorrect for external threading.
View attachment 174225

This is what 29.5° looks like for threading.
View attachment 174226

As you can see the scale is useless for that on the PM1236.
View attachment 174227

I use a preset slide bevel to set the compound for threading.
View attachment 174228

View attachment 174100

View attachment 174102

View attachment 174103

View attachment 174105

View attachment 174106

View attachment 174107

View attachment 174108

View attachment 174109
darkzero, how do you like the cold gun? how often does your compressor cycle?

There's a simple test to see if your QCTP holders/toolpost -end up- having a properly horizontal base for the tool...

Put a test indicator in either the chuck or on the ways and measure the bottom of your tool holder by moving the carriage back and forth (in the Z direction)... It should read less than a thou. Check all of your holders, and if they are consistent and it is not less than a thou there was a manufacture or mounting problem for your tool post. If your holders vary (are different from one another) then it could be the holders fault and you might need new ones. A last test is to check the same holder 4 or 5 times, taking it all the way off, and snugging it in place each time. If that measurement isn't exactly the same every time then there are serious problems with your tool post - for sure.

Although offshore tool holders and tool posts are more likely to have problems, even a big name top-of-the-line one will have problems the odd time. Please ensure that your tool post is properly mounted; there should be .010 to .020 between the top of the nut and the top of your compound slide, or nothing will hold down properly (and nothing will line up, either).

I once helped a guy that thought the two 'hold down' screws that are sometimes provided with the T nut were to hold everything down.... Of course that isn't the case and the tool holder didn't do its job. Removed the hold down bolts entirely, milled the top of his T nut and problem solved...

darkzero, how do you like the cold gun? how often does your compressor cycle?

I wouldn't recommend them especially for what they cost (the Exair ones anyway). They use a lot of air & I only run them at 50-60 psi. I got 2 of them for cheap (at different times) years ago. On the lathe I only use it when drilling titanium to help cool things down in addition to spraying on coolant manually. Sometimes I use it when knurling depending on what I'm knurling. Other than that I really don't use it much. They do actually blow pretty cold air though. The one for my lathe is stuck the back of the stand most of the time for storage (magnetic mount).

A few months ago I finally hooked up the other one on my mill. I wanted to hook up an air line to blow chips away & figured I might as well just use the second one rather than sell it.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/my-misc-quickie-projects.76777/#post-661372

I bought them when I was looking for an alternative to flood coolant or a mister as I didn't want to run flood coolant at home. I wouldn't buy them again that's for sure but they're there & I'll keep using them when needed. I think I may buy a fogbuster some day or stop being a wuss & finally hook up the flood coolant on both my lathe or mill. :D

Back