• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

PM-1236t

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

COMachinist

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
If anyone is intrested on what is happening with my new lathe, it has been strange. Every thing was going great untill friday late after noon. I have another chuck monted up and just turned a test bar. Measured it and was struck down with “Benign Positional Vertigo” I feel to the floor and started to throw up, I know TMI, Ihad to crawl to the house where my wife was and she called 911 for help. The y paramedics wisked me away to the ER. Where the thought I was having a stroke. They finally figure it wasn’t a stroke or heart attack, but said it was the worst case of vertigo they had ever seen. I could not stand situp stright, walk or any thing else except barfing my head off, I could not even keep water down from the nausea. Today they let me come home, with a hand full of meds and some exrcizes to help aleviate the dizzyness and off balance.They don’t know why it happened or how it happened. I need a walker to walk stand or do any think be cause it feels like i just finished off a gal. 190 proof. I can tell you I thought I was goner for a while. I have never had any thing put me down like this did. It felt like I was on the tiltaworld, at mach 2.
So long story short I will be out of the shop until I can stand on my own, which no one can tell me so my fine luck just keeps on giving, get a new lathe to make nice stuff. How ever I thank the lord that it was not a stroke and aftera number cat scans, MRI and a heart eco carogram with ultra sound it looks to be in real good shape along with my brain. So thank you lord.
I’ll make it back ASAP, and get the report out on my new baby.
Thanks for looking
CH

external power

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Get well soon and give that new toy hell!!

Doug

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Get feeling better. Your health is more important than your tools. As much as it pains us to be away from them. :)

TerryH

In the shop...
Wow. We will be praying for you CH! Get well and back to the new toys ASAP!

Janderso

God Speed on your recovery.

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
CH, hang in there, you’ll be back in the shop before you know it. Prayer and best wishes to you.

Ray C

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
Make sure your doctor checks for something called Meniere's disease. I worked with 2 people who were stricken with this. Same symptom. Sudden extreme dizziness like I've never seen before. It is usually caused by salt in your diet and your ear canal being hypersensitive to salt.

Ray

COMachinist

Active User
Make sure your doctor checks for something called Meniere's disease. I worked with 2 people who were stricken with this. Same symptom. Sudden extreme dizziness like I've never seen before. It is usually caused by salt in your diet and your ear canal being hypersensitive to salt.

Ray
Thank you all for you well wishes, it means a lot. Ray thank you for your sujestion I was lucky in that my ER Doctor just happendto have had that and they checked me for it. So Im good to go there. They said my cause was most likley calcium crystals in the iner ear canal they get loose and bounce around in it and mess up your balance and cause exstreme dizziness. They think the crystals will resolve and thing will get back to normal. Just don’t know when.

Now for the PM-1236t content, before all this happened, I measured ~.0015” depending how big a truck was going by. When I cut the two ring test bar it was .005” tapered, should the head stock be adjusted? The lathe is level in all directions by a 12” Sterrett Presion level on the way flats on 123 blocks. The head stock is factory set as of now.
Thanks.
CH

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
You may find this helpful. Epley Maneuver, treatment for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319171.php

About 20 years ago I worked with Dr. Epley on a machine that automatically moved the patient through the proper positions to move the crystals into a neutral area. The machine looked like something for training NASA astronauts. It actually worked well with a very good success rate. Dr. Epley passed away a number of years ago, and I have no idea what happened to the machine.

Best of luck.

markba633csi

How much taper are you getting over what length? 0.005 does seem high. I would call Matt and see what he says. Hopefully adjusting the headstock won't affect the warranty
mark

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
When I cut the two ring test bar it was .005” tapered, should the head stock be adjusted? The lathe is level in all directions by a 12” Sterrett Presion level on the way flats on 123 blocks. The head stock is factory set as of now.
Thanks.
CH
Were you using the tailstock to support the test bar? If so, then I would suggest that the tailstock needs to be adjusted. The best way to check the headstock alignment is to make a wide facing cut, at least as wide as the chuck, a light cut on a faceplate is good for this test. If the face cut comes out concave or convex, then it could be a headstock alignment problem.

pacifica

RGL
Thank you all for you well wishes, it means a lot. Ray thank you for your sujestion I was lucky in that my ER Doctor just happendto have had that and they checked me for it. So Im good to go there. They said my cause was most likley calcium crystals in the iner ear canal they get loose and bounce around in it and mess up your balance and cause exstreme dizziness. They think the crystals will resolve and thing will get back to normal. Just don’t know when.

Now for the PM-1236t content, before all this happened, I measured ~.0015” depending how big a truck was going by. When I cut the two ring test bar it was .005” tapered, should the head stock be adjusted? The lathe is level in all directions by a 12” Sterrett Presion level on the way flats on 123 blocks. The head stock is factory set as of now.
Thanks.
CH
I had the exact same issue on my new 1340gt, .005" taper over 5 ". used a 2" 12L14 test bar stuck out 10".
I knew the TIR in spindle was well under .0001". Lathe was leveled, bed was under .001" variance in height over 30".
What was left except the headstock!
Spent 4 hours adjusting headstock and taper is now less than .0001" over 5". It isn't real hard to do, just tedious.
Consider replacing the headstock cap screws with holo-krome or unbrako class 3A cap screws.
Possible they come out of factory like that now. I know it is a factory error because the tailstock is now 1/8" left of center when aligned with the spindle.:chagrin:

COMachinist

Active User
You may find this helpful. Epley Maneuver, treatment for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319171.php

About 20 years ago I worked with Dr. Epley on a machine that automatically moved the patient through the proper positions to move the crystals into a neutral area. The machine looked like something for training NASA astronauts. It actually worked well with a very good success rate. Dr. Epley passed away a number of years ago, and I have no idea what happened to the machine.

Best of luck.
Thanks Jim that is one of the exercises I’m doing now. My insurance is covering phisical/ocupationel therapy.
It is helping a lot.
CH
How much taper are you getting over what length? 0.005 does seem high. I would call Matt and see what he says. Hopefully adjusting the headstock won't affect the warranty
mark
Hi Mark
The test bar is 5” between the bands center to center. No I did not use the tail stock. I have test bar to check center of the tail stock but have not got that far yet. The chuck only has .0015 TIR with a gage pin in the chuck 1” out from the jaws on the factory 3jaw chuck. So I’m thinking it it is the head my lathe had kind of a bummy ride too.
CH

tjb

Terry
Get well. Stay safe.

COMachinist

Active User
I had the exact same issue on my new 1340gt, .005" taper over 5 ". used a 2" 12L14 test bar stuck out 10".
I knew the TIR in spindle was well under .0001". Lathe was leveled, bed was under .001" variance in height over 30".
What was left except the headstock!
Spent 4 hours adjusting headstock and taper is now less than .0001" over 5". It isn't real hard to do, just tedious.
Consider replacing the headstock cap screws with holo-krome or unbrako class 3A cap screws.
Possible they come out of factory like that now. I know it is a factory error because the tailstock is now 1/8" left of center when aligned with the spindle.:chagrin:
Pacifica
I just did a quick check of the tail stock when I was get it ready to power up just make sure the spendel and tail stock was close, used the dead centers to line they seamed real close. I just got my 4 jaw chuck in so I’ll beable to check ever thing better if needed Ican take the chuck out of the equation. Have not checked bed height. Too dizzy now to do any thing right now but I’m working to get better.
Thanks
CH

pacifica

RGL
CH:Definitely do not rush your recovery, amazing what a difference several day makes.

COMachinist

Active User
Hi All
Again thanks for the well wishes, I just got back from the Doctors today he said I am getting back to normal and can get out to shop if Ifeel like it. It has been over a week now and while I’m walking with out assistance, I still get a flash of light headedness some times. Just for few seconds. Think Ill get out tomorrow see how it feels.
Thanks again
CH

tjb

Terry
Be careful. Make sure you're close to your stool, and sit BEFORE you think you need to. I know it's nothing compared to what you've been through, but a couple of weeks ago, I was chain-sawing a couple of trees that had come down. It was beyond hot, and a couple of times I had to kneel down because I was afraid I was about to faint. I was out there two or three hours and when I came in, our weather monitor indicated it was 96 degrees with a 108 heat index. Your issue is totally different and far more severe, I recognize. Makes it all the more important to take too many precautions instead of not enough.

Regards,
Terry

external power

Glad to see you back, Now take it slow.

COMachinist

Active User
Glad to see you back, Now take it slow.
Thank all for your well wishes. Plan to get back the alignment and tuning finally. We will nice cool herefor a few days the monsoons have come finally. We have been real hot and dry as a bone. So should be nice finally to work in the shop again. I need to get my mill running a again with the VFD and 2hp 3ph motor. Beleive I’ll do that when I’m more stable and sure footed.
Thanks again
CH

brav65

Active User

Best of luck.
Physical therapist use those movements to reset the crystals of the inner ear. My ex is currently going through treatment for this. Spooner physical therapy in Phoenix specializes in this treatment.

COMachinist

Active User
Physical therapist use those movements to reset the crystals of the inner ear. My ex is currently going through treatment for this. Spooner physical therapy in Phoenix specializes in this treatment.
Thanks for the information
CH

In the fun zone , YUPP it really sucks , praying you can retrain the auto positioning built into your body. I have to keep real still and look straight ahead at a point on the wall till the brain says my body is lined up with what I see. Don't look to long at revolving objects it throws the brain a curve . Watching you cut is fine , but not the chuck . The cut is straight , I'd use a high stool for awhile too. Feel better ill be praying really God bless.

[6]
[5] [7]