PM-1236t

COMachinist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
If anyone is intrested on what is happening with my new lathe, it has been strange. Every thing was going great untill friday late after noon. I have another chuck monted up and just turned a test bar. Measured it and was struck down with “Benign Positional Vertigo” I feel to the floor and started to throw up, I know TMI, Ihad to crawl to the house where my wife was and she called 911 for help. The y paramedics wisked me away to the ER. Where the thought I was having a stroke. They finally figure it wasn’t a stroke or heart attack, but said it was the worst case of vertigo they had ever seen. I could not stand situp stright, walk or any thing else except barfing my head off, I could not even keep water down from the nausea. Today they let me come home, with a hand full of meds and some exrcizes to help aleviate the dizzyness and off balance.They don’t know why it happened or how it happened. I need a walker to walk stand or do any think be cause it feels like i just finished off a gal. 190 proof. I can tell you I thought I was goner for a while. I have never had any thing put me down like this did. It felt like I was on the tiltaworld, at mach 2.
So long story short I will be out of the shop until I can stand on my own, which no one can tell me so my fine luck just keeps on giving, get a new lathe to make nice stuff. How ever I thank the lord that it was not a stroke and aftera number cat scans, MRI and a heart eco carogram with ultra sound it looks to be in real good shape along with my brain. So thank you lord.
I’ll make it back ASAP, and get the report out on my new baby.
Thanks for looking
CH

Get feeling better. Your health is more important than your tools. As much as it pains us to be away from them. :)

Wow. We will be praying for you CH! Get well and back to the new toys ASAP!

CH, hang in there, you’ll be back in the shop before you know it. Prayer and best wishes to you.

Make sure your doctor checks for something called Meniere's disease. I worked with 2 people who were stricken with this. Same symptom. Sudden extreme dizziness like I've never seen before. It is usually caused by salt in your diet and your ear canal being hypersensitive to salt.

Ray

Make sure your doctor checks for something called Meniere's disease. I worked with 2 people who were stricken with this. Same symptom. Sudden extreme dizziness like I've never seen before. It is usually caused by salt in your diet and your ear canal being hypersensitive to salt.

Ray
Thank you all for you well wishes, it means a lot. Ray thank you for your sujestion I was lucky in that my ER Doctor just happendto have had that and they checked me for it. So Im good to go there. They said my cause was most likley calcium crystals in the iner ear canal they get loose and bounce around in it and mess up your balance and cause exstreme dizziness. They think the crystals will resolve and thing will get back to normal. Just don’t know when.

Now for the PM-1236t content, before all this happened, I measured ~.0015” depending how big a truck was going by. When I cut the two ring test bar it was .005” tapered, should the head stock be adjusted? The lathe is level in all directions by a 12” Sterrett Presion level on the way flats on 123 blocks. The head stock is factory set as of now.
Thanks.
CH

You may find this helpful. Epley Maneuver, treatment for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319171.php

About 20 years ago I worked with Dr. Epley on a machine that automatically moved the patient through the proper positions to move the crystals into a neutral area. The machine looked like something for training NASA astronauts. It actually worked well with a very good success rate. Dr. Epley passed away a number of years ago, and I have no idea what happened to the machine.

Best of luck.

Back