PM-1236t

How much taper are you getting over what length? 0.005 does seem high. I would call Matt and see what he says. Hopefully adjusting the headstock won't affect the warranty
mark

When I cut the two ring test bar it was .005” tapered, should the head stock be adjusted? The lathe is level in all directions by a 12” Sterrett Presion level on the way flats on 123 blocks. The head stock is factory set as of now.
Thanks.
CH

Were you using the tailstock to support the test bar? If so, then I would suggest that the tailstock needs to be adjusted. The best way to check the headstock alignment is to make a wide facing cut, at least as wide as the chuck, a light cut on a faceplate is good for this test. If the face cut comes out concave or convex, then it could be a headstock alignment problem.

Thank you all for you well wishes, it means a lot. Ray thank you for your sujestion I was lucky in that my ER Doctor just happendto have had that and they checked me for it. So Im good to go there. They said my cause was most likley calcium crystals in the iner ear canal they get loose and bounce around in it and mess up your balance and cause exstreme dizziness. They think the crystals will resolve and thing will get back to normal. Just don’t know when.

Now for the PM-1236t content, before all this happened, I measured ~.0015” depending how big a truck was going by. When I cut the two ring test bar it was .005” tapered, should the head stock be adjusted? The lathe is level in all directions by a 12” Sterrett Presion level on the way flats on 123 blocks. The head stock is factory set as of now.
Thanks.
CH
I had the exact same issue on my new 1340gt, .005" taper over 5 ". used a 2" 12L14 test bar stuck out 10".
I knew the TIR in spindle was well under .0001". Lathe was leveled, bed was under .001" variance in height over 30".
What was left except the headstock!
Spent 4 hours adjusting headstock and taper is now less than .0001" over 5". It isn't real hard to do, just tedious.
Consider replacing the headstock cap screws with holo-krome or unbrako class 3A cap screws.
Possible they come out of factory like that now. I know it is a factory error because the tailstock is now 1/8" left of center when aligned with the spindle.:chagrin:

You may find this helpful. Epley Maneuver, treatment for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319171.php

About 20 years ago I worked with Dr. Epley on a machine that automatically moved the patient through the proper positions to move the crystals into a neutral area. The machine looked like something for training NASA astronauts. It actually worked well with a very good success rate. Dr. Epley passed away a number of years ago, and I have no idea what happened to the machine.

Best of luck.
Thanks Jim that is one of the exercises I’m doing now. My insurance is covering phisical/ocupationel therapy.
It is helping a lot.
CH
How much taper are you getting over what length? 0.005 does seem high. I would call Matt and see what he says. Hopefully adjusting the headstock won't affect the warranty
mark
Hi Mark
The test bar is 5” between the bands center to center. No I did not use the tail stock. I have test bar to check center of the tail stock but have not got that far yet. The chuck only has .0015 TIR with a gage pin in the chuck 1” out from the jaws on the factory 3jaw chuck. So I’m thinking it it is the head my lathe had kind of a bummy ride too.
CH

Get well. Stay safe.

I had the exact same issue on my new 1340gt, .005" taper over 5 ". used a 2" 12L14 test bar stuck out 10".
I knew the TIR in spindle was well under .0001". Lathe was leveled, bed was under .001" variance in height over 30".
What was left except the headstock!
Spent 4 hours adjusting headstock and taper is now less than .0001" over 5". It isn't real hard to do, just tedious.
Consider replacing the headstock cap screws with holo-krome or unbrako class 3A cap screws.
Possible they come out of factory like that now. I know it is a factory error because the tailstock is now 1/8" left of center when aligned with the spindle.:chagrin:
Pacifica
I just did a quick check of the tail stock when I was get it ready to power up just make sure the spendel and tail stock was close, used the dead centers to line they seamed real close. I just got my 4 jaw chuck in so I’ll beable to check ever thing better if needed Ican take the chuck out of the equation. Have not checked bed height. Too dizzy now to do any thing right now but I’m working to get better.
Thanks
CH

Hi All
Again thanks for the well wishes, I just got back from the Doctors today he said I am getting back to normal and can get out to shop if Ifeel like it. It has been over a week now and while I’m walking with out assistance, I still get a flash of light headedness some times. Just for few seconds. Think Ill get out tomorrow see how it feels.
Thanks again
CH

Be careful. Make sure you're close to your stool, and sit BEFORE you think you need to. I know it's nothing compared to what you've been through, but a couple of weeks ago, I was chain-sawing a couple of trees that had come down. It was beyond hot, and a couple of times I had to kneel down because I was afraid I was about to faint. I was out there two or three hours and when I came in, our weather monitor indicated it was 96 degrees with a 108 heat index. Your issue is totally different and far more severe, I recognize. Makes it all the more important to take too many precautions instead of not enough.

Regards,
Terry

Back