PM-1340 GT Threading

V35B

Registered
Registered
I have been thinking of getting a PM 1340 GT and retire the Hendey. It appears Matt sells a good machine, and takes care of his customers. My question is, it does not appear to have the capability to cut 11 1/2 threads, which I use on some pipe connections and tubing threads. Is there any change gears that anyone knows of that will make this possible?

mksj

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
No, it is the one thread it will not cut. It will cut just about every other imperial and metric thread. The 1440GT will cut a 11.5 TPI. The GT series are a very nice lathes.

BtoVin83

Registered
Registered
If you could get a 46 tooth gear you might be able to pull it off, check the math

davidpbest

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Looks to me like
40 127
120 46
At Norton box positions B8 would get you to: 11.503

That 46 tooth gear does not come with the 1340, but might be able to special order it.

BtoVin83

Registered
Registered
46/127/40 should give you a ratio of 1.1 5 and using the 10 TPI should be 11.5

davidpbest

Ii think we're saying the same thing.

davidpbest

Mark has the master formula on this. Listen to him. He can make a 46t gear as part of his VFD build. I can make your oil distribution plate for the 1340 gearbox, and sell you the last MachTach kit I have on arbitrage, and Ariel can build your stand. I know a guy who does chrome plating in his garage for the custom Lista cab you will need for Ariel’s stand. You’re covered dude.

V35B

Registered
Registered
Thanks for the replies. I thought it was probably a possibility. Now I have some things to think through before making the decision to go with this unit.

7milesup

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Mark has the master formula on this. Listen to him. He can make a 46t gear as part of his VFD build. I can make your oil distribution plate for the 1340 gearbox, and sell you the last MachTach kit I have on arbitrage, and Ariel can build your stand. I know a guy who does chrome plating in his garage for the custom Lista cab you will need for Ariel’s stand. You’re covered dude.
And after he does all that I can set him up with a divorce attorney. ;)

mksj

Active User
And after he does all that I can set him up with a divorce attorney.
Wife encourages it, makes her feel less guilty when buying stuff. At least it is less expensive then my toys.

There is a forum member Chevy Sampath who is making PM1340GT gears out of Acetal/Delrin and it significantly reduces the gear train noise, although I found impact grease also helps. He may be able to make a 46T gear if it is a must have. He has a 1340GT and a PM-949, his shop is always immaculate, and so is David's. :adore:

This is his post on the stock gears and then hit the -> to go to the second video with the gears he cut.
http://instagr.am/p/B92OZuoJdQ0/

davidpbest

Precision Matthews was able to source a non-standard gear for my PM1340 from the factory in Taiwan. Tell Matt at PM you need to thread 11.5 tpi as a requirement to purchasing a 1340. He can make it happen.

szenieh

Hello David,

I am interested in the MachTach kit. What's included in the kit and how much is it?

Thanks,

Salah

parshal

Wow, Mark, those Delrin gears are crazy quiet!

daveog

Registered
Registered
Incidentally, I've seen some folks on eBay selling 3D printed lathe gears. Usually for the older machines, Logan, Atlas, Southbend, etc. But their listings say they will print any gear you need. Some also say they will replace them for free if they ever break. They are cheap and replaceable. I haven't tried them, but considered it when I had my Logan, because it was 100's of $$ for Logan gears and 10's of $$ for the printed ones. Just an idea.

Buffalo21

you guys are far different from me, I could not/would not wait 2 months under any condition.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
I've had the same machines for a few years now. Still love 'em. :)

V35B

Registered
Registered
you guys are far different from me, I could not/would not wait 2 months under any condition.
The 935 will be here next week actually, but it will be September on the 1340. I still have my old lathe in the shop to use if needed. I normally would be chomping at the bit, but I have a lot going on right now anyway. My kid has a tractor restoration project going on, so we will be busy with that, and from what we took apart today, the mill will be pretty busy for a few weeks anyway.

NortonDommi

Registered
Registered
I have a 14 x 40 and have had to make some change gears to get various threads. Another option is an electronic leadscrew.
There is a thread running here about it. Clough42 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeKpbMimEGgLM_0tnghfoVw on YouTube has some videos showing his development of one.
The ability to swap from Imperial to Metrickery and any T.P.I or pitch you want plus any feed rate you want by pushing a few buttons is mighty appealing.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
I would love to have a SB digital threading lathe (SB1009), but I'll need to win the lottery in order to get one. :)

mksj

Active User

7milesup

You guys gave me an idea. My PM1022 is a little noisy and I have a Prusa 3D printer. Maybe I will get out my Taulman Nylon and print me up a few. :)

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock