PM-1340 GT Threading

V35B

Registered
Registered
I have been thinking of getting a PM 1340 GT and retire the Hendey. It appears Matt sells a good machine, and takes care of his customers. My question is, it does not appear to have the capability to cut 11 1/2 threads, which I use on some pipe connections and tubing threads. Is there any change gears that anyone knows of that will make this possible?

No, it is the one thread it will not cut. It will cut just about every other imperial and metric thread. The 1440GT will cut a 11.5 TPI. The GT series are a very nice lathes.

If you could get a 46 tooth gear you might be able to pull it off, check the math

Looks to me like
40 127
120 46
At Norton box positions B8 would get you to: 11.503

That 46 tooth gear does not come with the 1340, but might be able to special order it.

46/127/40 should give you a ratio of 1.1 5 and using the 10 TPI should be 11.5

Ii think we're saying the same thing.

Anything is possible, but you would need to cut your own gear. I already did the thread chart for the available gears.

Attachments

• PM 1340GT Metric Gear Chart .pdf
    336.1 KB · Views: 253
Mark has the master formula on this. Listen to him. He can make a 46t gear as part of his VFD build. I can make your oil distribution plate for the 1340 gearbox, and sell you the last MachTach kit I have on arbitrage, and Ariel can build your stand. I know a guy who does chrome plating in his garage for the custom Lista cab you will need for Ariel’s stand. You’re covered dude.

Thanks for the replies. I thought it was probably a possibility. Now I have some things to think through before making the decision to go with this unit.

Mark has the master formula on this. Listen to him. He can make a 46t gear as part of his VFD build. I can make your oil distribution plate for the 1340 gearbox, and sell you the last MachTach kit I have on arbitrage, and Ariel can build your stand. I know a guy who does chrome plating in his garage for the custom Lista cab you will need for Ariel’s stand. You’re covered dude.
And after he does all that I can set him up with a divorce attorney. ;)

Back