PM 1340GT and PM 932PD Ordered Today

Well a friend of mine wanted my Smithy but was taking forever to come and get it. I finally had some time between other jobs and asked that he come and get it so I could start moving things around to make room for my new machines.

Here is my Smithy CB1239 all ready to be moved.
2rfpje0.jpg

Loaded up and heading to its' new home. Good by old friend.
v58h2w.jpg

Well as you can see in the above pictures I had quite an assortment of metal stock that I have been trying to figure out how to store. I wanted something more organized for when my new equipment shows up than what I have had for the past several years. I try to keep my shop clean and organized but one area that always annoys me is my small metal stock storage.

I cleared out the underside of my welding bench and made room for two small milk crates, one for steel and one for aluminum. These hold the small odd sized pieces and will work great.

I moved my Wilton 20" drill press and my Baldor bench grinder/stand over next to my belt/disc sander to keep the grinding dust off of my new lathe when it arrives. On my old one I had an aluminum shield that I would hang on the chip tray of the Smithy to keep the dust off while grinding but I didn't want to deal with that on the new one.

The new lathe will be closer to the front of the shop next to the solvent tank and the mill will be right across from it so my cart holding my machine tools/toolbox will be within easy reach for either machine.

Here is the void where the new Precision Mathews PM1340GT will live.
2wmg802.jpg

I cut some 4" PVC tubing, capped the bottom and mounted them so they rest on the foundation ledge. I divided up my stock by lengths and composition to keep like items together. There are eight tubes behind the disc/belt sander and another seven tubes behind the drill press allowing a nice clean and organized floor area.
2s84ne9.jpg

Another view.
15whqx3.jpg

I haven't been able to get all the way around my disc/belt sander for several years as I had a box of metal stock/pieces in boxes on either side of it. Now I can get to the wall when I need a piece and keep track of my sizes much better rather than having to dig through piles of metal. This was the one area of my shop that I was not happy with. Now I am very pleased with how it turned out and actually look forward to the time when I need a piece of metal to machine and can locate what I am looking for with ease.

Mike.

Also while I was working in the shop over the weekend I decided to redo my cart that will hold my granite machinists surface plate and my machining toolbox. I picked up the granite block about 10 years ago from a friend when he downsized his machine shop. I fabricated the cart about 19 years ago just after building my shop at home and I used some worn out casters that I grabbed from work. I told myself I would replace the casters once I decided what I was going to do with the cart. The cart never moved in the 19 years my shop has been standing so I didn't worry about the casters, it resided next to my solvent tank and seemed to collect boxes of small parts/supplies. Now that I decided to use the cart in the middle of the shop between the mill and the lathe I thought it would be a good idea to have it mobile in order to move and sweep around when getting chips on the floor.

I picked up four casters which would support 290 pounds each from McMaster Carr last week.

Here are the nut plates marked and ready to drill for the legs of the cart.
14k8p5u.jpg

Here they are drilled and nuts welded on.
ta60xy.jpg

Legs cut off and ready to accept the new nut plates.
ilhct3.jpg

Nut plate welded on.
vr3hjc.jpg

Last but not least, I wiped it down and covered the red color with some "machinery gray" and then loaded it up.
szd2bp.jpg

Mike,

Those look great. Being from the same area I know I've heard of Z Motorsports or driven past, something like that. Is that your place on 3200?

Dave

Mike,

Those look great. Being from the same area I know I've heard of Z Motorsports or driven past, something like that. Is that your place on 3200?

Dave

Yes. Shop is in a residential area behind my home.

Whereabouts are you located?

Mike.

I live in Bountiful but have family and friends in West Point.

Dave

Great. Don't be a stranger. Give me a shout next time you in the area and swing by.

Just out of curiosity, where do your family and friends live in relation to my place?

Mike.

Last edited:
Great. Don't be a stranger. Give me a shout next time you in the area and swing by.

Just out of curiosity, where do your family and friends live in relation to my place?

Mike.

My sister is on 1800 N a few blocks west, Some friends are 150 N about as far west as you can go without getting your feet wet. I definitely want a close look at the 1340GT when it lands. I really like the looks of that one.
Dave

My sister is on 1800 N a few blocks west, Some friends are 150 N about as far west as you can go without getting your feet wet. I definitely want a close look at the 1340GT when it lands. I really like the looks of that one.
Dave

Sure thing. I will post up some pics of it when it arrives then just shoot me a message and you are welcome to come by the shop and check it out.

My wife and I go for walks over on 1800 N, we probably walk right past your sister's house.

Mike.

Back