PM 1340GT How much floor space is needed? (aka Footprint)

PWF

Registered
Registered
Searched the forum and couldn't fit a thread on this....
Looking at getting a PM 1340, but I really what to know how much floor space this is really going to take. I do plan to dedicate a tall tool rest for all the goodies, so let's ignore that.

Primary use will be gun barrels and smaller work...

The specs say "52”H x 29”W x 70”L"... I have lots of height, but floorspace is a premium.

So I wanted to ask real users what is viable.

Can I put the back of the lathe against a perimeter wall? If so are the front controls 29" from wall?

How much free space on the right do I need? Can the right side go against a wall?

Thanks
- pat

Pat

I made my own stand for the PM 1340 so I can't confirm all of those measurements. However, they do appear accurate. I can say the the 29" width appears to represent the distance from the back of the backsplash to the end of the handle for the carriage. I don't think it includes the extra 3" or so for the work light mount tht attaches to the back side of the backsplash. That will set you out from the wall an additional 3" or so if you decide to use the stock mount for the light. Also, I would allow an additional inch or so to your measurements as you really won't want the back of the machine touching the wall for leveling purposes. I don't think there is any need for additional room on the tailstock end except if you need to remove the tailstock for some reason like installing a DRO or something.

You might ask Matt the owner of PM what he thinks minimum floor space would be. Myself, who has always been floor space challenged in my shops I need walking space behind lathe, 3 feet in front of lathe, access to headstock end for thru headstock loading of long bar material, and next to no extra space at tailstock end. The reason for minimal (at least) walking space behind lathe is to get in to service or add a taper attachment , DRO, or constant surface speed attachment.

call Matt

BS,
You have quite the setup.... impressive...

Thanks PWF. It has been a fun project. I spent more time on it than what is really needed, but I have enjoyed the time spent.

I have limited floor space also. I had to install my DRO in an open area where as I could get to the back of the lathe. To do this I had to level the lathe, install the DRO, move the lathe to its final resting place against the wall, then re-level. It was a pain to have to level the machine again but it was the only way to do it right.

Back