PM 1340GT lathe irrigation set up

Kamloopsendo

Registered
Registered
I recently received from Matt a very nice pump and tank and some flexible tubing to connect pump to nozzle so that I can have fluid flow to my lathe. Question is how have you guys/gals connected the fluid tank to the tray drain spout (to return fluid to tank) and how and where did you locate the pump and tank AND finally is there a consensus on where/how to mount the nozzle.
If anyone has thoughts or experience I'd appreciate you input before I start installing it so as to minimize the odds of my having to change it several times while I try to re-invent the wheel so to speak.

Thanks in advance as always for the input.
Alex

You might look at this post for some idea: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/setting-up-the-pm-1236-t-lathe.76174/page-4

The coolant nozzle is usually mounted on the back of the carriage, there may be two holes for the mount already drilled. The drain is already in the drip pan which would go to the coolant return. I would mount the coolant tank where it is accessible and easy to get to, either the back of the machine or to the tailstock cabinet side. The wiring on the stock coolant system installed is a direct connect high voltage to the switch and then to the coolant pump. A bit dangerous, but with the stock control board there is no room for a coolant contactor or overload relay. Definitely need a splash shield if using coolant, mine is also mounted to the carriage.

You might look at this post for some idea: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/setting-up-the-pm-1236-t-lathe.76174/page-4

The coolant nozzle is usually mounted on the back of the carriage, there may be two holes for the mount already drilled. The drain is already in the drip pan which would go to the coolant return. I would mount the coolant tank where it is accessible and easy to get to, either the back of the machine or to the tailstock cabinet side. The wiring on the stock coolant system installed is a direct connect high voltage to the switch and then to the coolant pump. A bit dangerous, but with the stock control board there is no room for a coolant contactor or overload relay. Definitely need a splash shield if using coolant, mine is also mounted to the carriage.
Mark: I have your control system as you might remember nursing me thru it. I haven't really looked at the wiring thing yet. I had not thought about a screen although have made a couple up for my mill so do understand where you're coming from so thanks for the link to the thread on splash shields - some great ideas there.
Indeed there are threaded holes on the back of the Carriage which I will be using, I guess my biggest concern honestly was simply routing the hose from the pump to the carriage so that it hangs free, is just long enough, doesn't collect crap etc, etc.

Alex

Back