Pm 1440-hd Heavy Duty Lathe

Awesome to hear good review like this. I had heard negative things about the Jet 1440W (which looks very similar), and thought this one might have similar problems. Nice to see that Matt is keeping his products a cut above the rest.

rbjscott, Matt is and has always been great with on time lines, I would not worry.
On of the reasons I went with him over several others that have the same machine is because he spends a lot of time with the factories cherry picking the best product. The other was although several companies sell this same machine for a very wide price difference there are some things each privet label (Precision Mathews, Jet, Clark and several others) do spec like the type of electronics and bearings. Before I made my purchase I can tell you I looked at over 5 of these same machines all under different names. Matt was in the lower third when it came to price however he was the only one willing to talk about his specs on these parts. I can tell you everything in the PM machine is top quality. Can also tell you first hand some far more well known names spec much lower quality bearings and electronics.
Anyway like I said I would not worry about getting it in the time span you have been told, Matt was totally up front with me on the time line and although it took a year I knew that it would going into it. Don't know if you have actualy seen one yet but beleive me it will be worth every penny paid and minuet spent waiting when you see it. You might plan on a fork lift or something to unload and place it as it is a heavy one and I am pretty sure the weight they have on it is VERY conservative judging from the sounds my fork lift made when picking it up. Lucky for me we had a couple spare fat guys sitting around to pile on the back of the lift. :)

10 to 12 weeks, but I am laid up for 6 weeks after foot surgery. You would think after 50 years as a machinist a lathe would not excite me.

WHAT? I thought all machinists got excited about new toys.:cheer: Oh the damage I could do with a lathe of that size.:chemist:
Hope you get it on time. and your foot heels soon.
Mark

I have been happy with my PM 1440 & Matt.
I think you will enjoy getting a new unclapped machine to run.

Bob, found some more photos of my PM1440hd when I first got it, the spider on the spindle end did not come with it that was my first project when I got it. The second was a drain valve and extention for the head stock
oil. The first time I drained it I realized it was going to get all ove rhe gears, belts and motor, had to change that. IMAG0768.jpg IMAG0769.jpg IMAG0770.jpg Feeds.jpg IMAG0771.jpg Feeds.jpg IMAG0789.jpg IMAG0790.jpg IMAG0816.jpg Lathe 1.jpg IMAG0800.jpg IMAG0995.jpg IMAG0996.jpg
IMAG0768.jpg
IMAG0769.jpg
IMAG0770.jpg
Feeds.jpg
IMAG0771.jpg
Feeds.jpg
IMAG0789.jpg
IMAG0790.jpg
IMAG0816.jpg
Lathe 1.jpg
IMAG0800.jpg
IMAG0995.jpg
IMAG0996.jpg

Thanks for the picture. I am ready to receive my lathe. My hobble rat is increasing!

Spoke to Matt last Sat about stopping up & checking out the 1440HD in person. Unfortunately there's none in stock & a 10-12 week wait. 10 were ordered, 6 have been spoken for. After speaking to a fellow member, there may be only 3 left.......

That is one beautiful and massive machine. When you consider the price includes shipping, it is a steal if you need that level of capacity and rigidity.

Back