Pm 1440-hd Heavy Duty Lathe

Been learning the lathe, cutting a lot of air breaking it in. I am going to purchase carbide insert tooling this week--time permitting. I am going to get help learning to post pics next week.

Any updates? Curious to know how you are finding the 1440hd lathe.

Pictures?

Thanks!

Have not had time with the lathe. Been doing some work on airboats. Followed a 572 inch Dart engine build--made 701 HP at 5200 RPM (bad boy) Right now I have to decide if I want to keep my AXA QCTP or use the BXA size that came with the lath. I have a lot of tool blocks for the AXA, 2 expensive insert holding blocks that I like to use.

Forgot to say thanks for follow this post. I am really happy with the lathe so far.

Helo together,

I bought mine in 2006/2007 and I was a little bit disapointed. I bought it with the a lever style collet closer installed, which wasn't. There was not much help from Matthew either, so I had to figure it out by myself.
Also the lever for the feed directions is a pain in the ass to operate, because it's difficult to get into the notch.
The tail stock quill is way to sloppy.
The plate underneath the the tail stock is not clamping right either

I forgot to mention that the feed selection lever at the carriage is very difficult to operate/change from longitudual feeds to cross feeds

Best regards

Klaus

Last edited:
Interesting. Can you take pictures that show the issues you are talking about? I am curious about how much slop you are seeing in the tailstock quil.

brian

I have a question. The 14X40 HD manual calls for Mobil DTE Heavy Medium oil to lube ever thing. I have not run a machine that did not require Way oil for the carriage and cross feed. Is this common for PM lathes, Any comments about not using way oil. Thanks Folks.

No expert here, but from what I have read and used, I would see no reason not to use Mobile Vactra #2 oil or Shell Tonna S2 MX 68 on the way sliding surfaces. I notice a big difference in using way oil vs ISO 68 lubrication oil that I use for the gearbox and bearings. Some machines specify ISO 68 all around, as it may be easier to use/stock one oil. If that is the case, then the Shell Tonna would be the best fit. Otherwise would use the Vactra #2 on the lathe ways. Evidently Vactra #2 is less tacky then the way oil it replaced which was Mobil Vacuoline 1409, but is less likely to get gummy over time. Vacuoline 1409 also EPA issues with the tackifiers, and there were issues with CNC type machines due to the increase carriage speed.

This is not specific to the PM/QMT machines, as other machines (like the PM1340GT, ERL, TRL) specify different oils. Your machine looks identical to the Jet GH-1340 and 1440 models, their manuals specify ISO 68 oil for everything. Other manuals specify something like Mobil Vactra Oil No.2 oil for the ways. Grizzly on many of their lathes just specifies ISO 68.
Example for G0776:
Lathe Lubrication.jpg

Interesting. Can you take pictures that show the issues you are talking about? I am curious about how much slop you are seeing in the tailstock quil.

brian
I'm currently not at home, but as soon i'm back I try to make some pictures

Back