Pm-1440e-lb Due To Arrive

N2XD

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hello to the group. I have ordered a PM-1440E-LB this past week and will have it shipped out Nov 4th. Have to move out some other equipment to make room. Any one out there have experience unpacking and moving this unit only using a 2 ton engine hoist? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Congrats on he new machine!

I recently un-crated and moved my PM-1440GT using a 1 ton engine hoist, a floor jack and a toe jack. The trickiest part is getting the machine off the pallet. PM put the machine and factory crate on another wider pallet for shipping to me so the machine sits high when it arrived.

I used a reciprocating saw to cut away the center section of the PM pallet from under the factory pallet and then used the floor jack to lift the machine from under the factory pallet one end at a time to get the remaining PM pallet out from under the factory pallet. I lowered each end of the factory pallet onto a 2x4 so I could get the floor jack out and then used the toe jack to get the 2x4 out and the factory pallet on the ground.

Once the factory pallet was on the ground I again cut the center section out between the bases. I then used the toe jack on each end to lift under the base to remove the remaining factory pallet. Each end of the machine was set down on two stacked pieces of 2x4's so the engine hoist would fit under the foot brake.

For the engine hoist I used a nylon tow strap. I cut a piece of 2x4 the width of the lathe bed. The tow strap went through (not around) the bed and then around the 2x4 under the bed. With the tail-stock and carriage all the way to the right and the tow strap and block near the head it balanced pretty well.

It took me, my wife and my daughter about two hours to un-crate and move into the garage.

I borrowed a gantry crane on wheels. You may be able to rent one. It made the job super easy.

adc43e877e06fd677a507ca73298c445.jpg

46deea0f045730dd20e6835f287d5e2b.jpg

380e7deafc49fcc7ce0d4b60a315f670.jpg

a3ce452c3457989dd60cced1d61f07d1.jpg

Hello to the group.Any one out there have experience unpacking and moving this unit only using a 2 ton engine hoist? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hello N2XD: Welcome to THM forums. The info i could offer you is in the form of a caution. Keep the boom of your engine hoist as short as possible and watch for obstructions like cracks or tools on the floor.
It took me forever to move an F. E.Reed lathe off of the truck and into its general position.
That was only 15 feet in total.
F E Reed.JPG

lk

I have tried to rent a gantry crane here in Franklin, the only problem is that none of the rental places here know what a gantry crane is. I took delivery of the PM-940-PDF a month ago and used the engine hoist. Have to get the shop wired up. I will try and keep everyone posted as to my progress. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried to see if I could rent a gantry crane. The rental places here do not know what a gantry crane is. Needles to say they did not have one.

Are you in Franklin TN? If so, call Lift Gear Hire. They have them. They specialize in renting rigging.

(You can't see profile locations when posting from Tapatalk here on HM.)

Last edited:
No I'm in Franklin,NC

Back