PM 1440E LB oil?

Ghost

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone , does anyone know what oil to use in the head of the 1440 LB ? And would a AW 32 hydraulic oil be fine for the rest of the fill ports ? Thanks

I don't have a 1440LB but these style gearhead lathes are all similar. Oil weight will matter if you live in extreme climates & don't have a climate controlled shop. Bakersfield is pretty much similar to LA. Here's what I use in my PM1236.

Headstock & apron: ISO68, specifically Mobil DTE26. Any ISO68 hydraulic oil will be fine though. Some people use Vactra #2 way oil in the apron & Grizzly actually recommends the same on some of their lathes.

Oil ports (except the power feed rod & bed leadscrew ends): Mobil Vactra #2. You should really use way oil here. #2 way oil is equivelent to ISO68 in weight. If ISO32 is all you have for now, that's better than no oil at all.

Oil ports for the power feed rod & bed leadscrew ends: Mobil Velocite #10 spindle oil. This is equivelent to ISO22 in weight. I used to use Vactra #2 in these ports in the past.

But if you lived in areas that are extremely cold like freezing temps, ISO32 would be a better choice for the headstock & apron. If you live in extremely hot areas (like hot Socal days in the summer but mostly year round), ISO100 might be a better choice for just the headstock.

Thanks a lot ! I appreciate your taking the time to answer, and I luckily have that on hand ( ISO 68 )

No problem & welcome to H-M!

Back