PM-1440GS or PM1340GT lathe or maybe a PM1440GT

I hope he is very patient, I'm a slow study.

I want the PM1440GT but don't want to spend ~$2K more than the PM1340GT.

Yes it is my track car.

Whats another 2K among friends ;)

Ya know you want one....

20170407_170044.png

2-1/4" 1018 CRS, .035" DOC finishing cut, 500 rpm, .009" feed ........

20170407_170059.png

:surrender:

Do you have a spider on your 1440GT? Yes I want one, its the $10K that I have problems with. LOL. Anymore pictures of that fine piece of machinery?

Do you have a spider on your 1440GT? Yes I want one, its the $10K that I have problems with. LOL. Anymore pictures of that fine piece of machinery?

Pictures of the spider here.

The whole thread of receiving and modifications here. Spent more than I originally intended but in the end it was totally worth it. Has almost paid for itself in customer work.

If it were me I'd go with the 134oGT over the Chinese lathe.
I have a 1340GT and 1440GT, while looking for the 1440, I looked at quite a few lathes and the difference between the Tawianese and Chinese lathes is very noticeable IMO.
What are you planning on using it for, and do you need the 1440 size ??
Matt P

I have the PM1340GT. It's a great machine and am very happy with it. When I was looking, the 1340 was more machine than I thought I needed for my prospective projects and the space available. That said, the larger spindle bore and enclosed gear box of the 1440GT would be nice. If you have the space and budget go for the larger machine. If not, I don't think you would be disappointed at all with the 1340.

Definitely go with the 3 phase motor and VFD. Mark helped me with one of his VFD conversion systems and while it took some time and effort to remove and reinstall the electrical system, he makes it it a simple process and has a good set of instructions, photos, and labeled connections. There have been many of us that have gone through this process and can help with questions. Dan, Mark and Jay who have already posted were very helpful and patient with me and all the questions I had.

The variable speed, soft start, breaking, and proximity stop are really nice features to have. There are many threads on this topic you can read up on.

The best thing about buying one of these two machines is the depth of info already posted here and available from the many generous members.

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

My wife says the same thing, at this age if you can buy once and be happy it is worth it, certainly have worked hard through the years. I would go 3 phase, just be aware that in my experience the VFDs do not work well with 2 speed motors. I have been helping a number of individuals do a simple VFD conversion that uses the contactors, very quick and you are up and running with minimal additional expense. My vote would be for the 3 phase 1440GT, you know what your going to get and it will put a smile on your face every time you use it. QED. :beguiled:

Regarding VFD with 2 speed motor, I agree ... mostly. I have been running a 3 hp Teco FM VFD successfully with a Jet JTM-1 , 2HP step pulley 2 speed motor mill for 13 years. It needs to warm up for 30 seconds on lower speed pulley before jumping up to high speed but has worked well for all these years if I stay between 40 and 80 cycles. I briefly step down to 15 cycles for tapping sometimes but those are brief periods. If I ever smoke the motor I will replace motor with one more suitable for the purpose, but I have gotten away with this for years. The Jet is a Taiwanese machine and motor, chinese motor, I don't know if I would do it, but they have improved dramatically over the years.

JBOLT definitely has the a sweet lathe setup. A lot of time and effort went into his revamp of his lathe.

The 1340GT does everything I need it to do and I plan to keep it for a long time. The spend factor was an issue when I was looking, and my "budget" almost doubled by the time I was done :eek 2:, but because I have had "quality control" issues on previous Chinese mainland machines, my compromise was toward quality as opposed to size. I am happy with my choice, it is a great lathe, but one always lusts for bigger/heavier machine. It is a difficult call between the lathes listed, but really boils down to the type of work you plan on doing and cost compromise. I think either a 1340 or 1440 would be a huge step up.

On the two speed motors and VFDs, the VFDs can be programed for the characteristics of each winding setup/load (4P/8P). I have twice tried this on 2 speed motors, but usually one the motor speed settings did not run very well. In both cases the motor was replaced with an inverter motor usually run up to 120 or 180 Hz. Newer inverter motors do very well as a replacement, one can boost the VFD overload on these motors to around 180-200% for up to a minute which can provide a lot more short term power at the lower frequency settings. Also, if you over speed the motors you deliver more spindle Hp, and comparable torque to a standard motor when you factor in the belt/gearing ratios. I rarely see more than +/- 1 RPM change on my lathe regardless of the load and motor frequency from 20-120Hz. The ability to tweak the speed or adjust it while turning is a game changer for me, I find a very narrow RPM range for boring or cutoff that works well for a specific material.
Mark

Thanks guys for all the posts. As you can see in my sign. line I have been busy gathering machines and tools for my home/farm (some of my own gun work) shop since I retired. This mostly started when I had a gunsmith friend, who has a Sharp 1340VS that I love to operate, build my last 1000 yd target gun, I'm not sure weather to cuss him or thank him. As you can suppose I have spent way more, many thousands, than I thought was possible. My PM1030V was adequate for most of my needs for around a year then ballooned from there.

My real needs stop with a quality 12x36" lathe. I needed to work some 1 3/4" round stock for a friend a while back and couldn't. I decided to get a larger lathe because a 1" spindle bore won't do much in all reality.

Now we come to my wants/needs list. I want a pull out chip pan, cast iron base, gear box with the least change gears possible, two axis DRO, over 1.5" spindle bore (2" would be nice), 2HP minimum motor, highest quality (9002 factory Chinese or if possible) Taiwanese lathe. There are probably other items I am forgetting right now but you get the idea. I also want to go 3 phase if possible.

When I was looking for a mill I started thinking a PM25 but after some time and persuading I ended up with a 1984 full size Super-Max knee mill, (and boy am I glad I listened to my friend), that I love to use.

So when he said get the biggest/best lathe I can afford, I am going to listen to him this time again, here I am and the reason for the thread.

I hope that made sense. I have decided to weigh out the PM1340GT, PM1440GT and the PM1440GS (just because) and get the best I can afford.

I'm curious, a question for those of you who have a PM1440GT /w/ 3 phase. Where is the door located that holds the electrical components?

Have any of you used a Lenze brand VFD, their blue ones, they are American made, on your lathe? I have one on my mill and love it.

I changed the name of the thread to reflect where it seems to be going.

Last edited:
The panel (unfortunately not a door) for the stock electrical on the 1440gt is on the back of the headstock support portion of the stand. There is also a removable panel to access electrical and braking components on the left end of the stand. I added an electrical box on hinges (jbolt's idea) on the left end of the stand, to hold the Hitachi VFD, and braking resistor.

Back