PM-1440GS or PM1340GT lathe or maybe a PM1440GT

Hi all, I am trying to find out more about a newer lathe Matt offers, the PM-1440GS. He says there out there but I can't find anyone that has one. I'm looking into a larger lathe and this one looks good on paper but I want to hear about real hands on experiences if possible. TIA.
I have the PM1440E-LB and I Almost bought the Grizzly G0709, I am glad I didn,t. Just my opinion but I believe I got more for the $ with precision Mathews. I know the machines are simular but I got the 2"large bore spindle with the larger spindle bearings,3hp motor, MT4 tailstock. Mine is almost identical to the GS. If you want to do a video call with me I can go over it with you and show you anything you want to see. I love it and Matt is great to deal with. Just message me if you want to see it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for all the info. If I can swing it I will get the PM1440GT with 3 phase (to save cost and setup time). I will do a VFD conversion right from the start. If the GT doesn't work out I will get the GS and convert it ASAP.

Mark and Jay I hope I'm smart enough to do the VFD conversion but think it is worth the time. The reason I wanted to use a Lenze is because I have one on my mill, I work under the KISS principal. I can use a Hitachi if needed.

Also I have talked with Matt concerning tooling etc.

Thanks again all.

Last edited:
Mark and Jay I hope I'm smart enough to do the VFD conversion but thank it is worth the time.

You will have no problem putting it together. There is plenty of support here to get through it. Once you do one you will realize it's not that hard.

Hi Jay, I did the basic programing on my mill with a 3 hp Lenze SMVector as mentioned above. Until I move into my new "project shop" I didn't take full advantage of its many features. If the Lenze is too much problem I will go with a Hitachi.

Each VFD has there own quarks and programming tweaks. If you are going to do the basic install, most newer sensorless vector VFDs will work. But if you plan on doing a more full system, then it matters as there are different wiring and programming parameters that vary by VFD brand/type.

Mark, in your opinion, should I place a premium on using another Lenze on the lathe to keep my learning curve simpler on me (KISS)? I can go with a Hitachi if need be. I don't want to impose on your knowledge to an unreasonable degree? I like that they are made in the USA too. My plans are to get it going with the basics at first and let it evolve as needed.

Also is the base steel or cast iron on the GT model?

Last edited:
The base on mine is ~3/16" steel. I haven't experienced any lack of stability or rigidity.

Reactions: jer
The steel stand on the GT is very stout. I had my concerns at first but Matt has done a good job on the specs to the manufacturer to get it very ridgid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: jer
I would stick with the WJ200, they have been very reliable and everything has been worked out on them for these machines. You also save some $. There are a lot of good VFDs, and a few crappy ones. But in this case since the majority of the VFD conversions for the 1340/1440GT have been with the WJ200 it is a known quantity. Not a problem to help whatever you decide. I would not get too hung up a cast iron base, everything I have read is the 1440GT is very stout, it is also the mass of the machine. Based on your discussions I would stick with either of the 1440GT or GS, I sometime wish for a bit more mass on my lathe, a pull out chip tray and a larger spindle bore. So pretty much what you are looking for.
Mark

Thanks Mark, I have been reading many VFD threads you have done. I'm not sure just yet exactly what features I want but so far I think I want; for/rev, speed pot, accel control, decel control, and may want VFD braking.

I will add to this as possibilities come to mind. I hope this doesn't get too complicated for my pea brain. LOL.

Perhaps a proximity sensor?

Last edited:
Back