PM-1440GS or PM1340GT lathe or maybe a PM1440GT

Hi Mark, I could send you a PM but I'm sure there are others that would be interested in the info too. The PM1440GT being so new it is still somewhat an unknown.

I picked up 12" and 10" j&p boxes, if needed, Tuesday. The price was right, free.

I'm looking for guidance with what I need for the controls I want, and the level of complexity. Which look to be forward/reverse, speed pot, tach, accel control (as in 3-5 seconds), decel control (2-3 sec.), upper and lower freq. as in 30 to 90 cycles. Perhaps a proximity sensor & bypass and may want VFD foot braking (as in "OH SH$T" right now). I'm thinking tach and speed pot in a small box under the DRO display.

What does that sound like to you? I can live without the P sensor and/or VFD foot brake if it is too complicated. I think the rest shouldn't be too much for my limited ability. (Maybe).

The GT will be here next Friday. :big grin:

Now if I just knew all it takes to make it run. LOL. :eek 3:

It will take a little while to clean it up and install the DRO and VFD. The electronics will be the hardest thing for me. :confused:

Thanks for all your help guys. :applause 2:

Last edited:
Jerry,
I would send me a PM with your email and we can see what you want to do. There are a number of different build possibilities, and every one is different. What I recommend is a basic setup using the contactors to activated the VFD inputs to get you started. You can get most of the features you are asking about, but the proximity sensor and some of the more advance interlocks/controls requires a new system build either on the current control board or a new drop in replacement. You will also need to map out all the wiring and you would need a new wiring harness and front panel switches. Doable, but probably takes 2-3 weeks to get it all together depending on available time. A known VFD system build takes me about 16-20 hours to put together. Maybe JBOLT can provide some information on the foot brake dual pole limit switch he used. I think if you have a mechanical foot brake, then probably a good safety feature in addition to the normal VFD braking, but the VFD needs to have a freewheel command. You will need a VFD braking resistor, these are suggestions:
https://www.digikey.com/product-det...passive-product/TJT50047RJ/A123924-ND/5878245
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ohmite/WFH330L50RJE/WFH330L50RJE-ND/824606
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ohmite/WFH330L50RJE

I already have programming parameters for the 1440GT basic conversion, the WJ200 is fairly straight forward to program once you get your hands on it. The enclosure must be at leas 8" deep, the resistors are are 11-13" long, a 12x12" box you may be limited to the Ohmite, as the TE is 13".
Regards,
mark

Reactions: jer
Thanks Mark, I will be getting with you soon. I'm good with the basic setup, maybe for ever. It seems simple, quick and little cost involved. Which after the lathe will keep my "Financial Officer" happy.

I saw your programing on the 1340GT, it looked good. Similar to my Lenze VFD on my mill.

Also the boxes I have are only 6" deep so they won't work.

I expect the conversion will take me a few weeks to learn and gather items needed.

Thanks again Mark.

Last edited:
Nice looking lathe, congrats! You can take the drama out of threading to a shoulder by turning tool upside down and threading in reverse moving towards tailstock. Sure makes life easy, no crashes, no worries. Joe P on you tube has video on it, highly recommended if you are not already aware of the specifics.

I watched one of his videos where he was doing an internal thread using this technic and running the lathe very fast. Very impressive! He does a great job with his videos.

Reactions: jer
Jerry,
I would send me a PM with your email and we can see what you want to do. There are a number of different build possibilities, and every one is different. What I recommend is a basic setup using the contactors to activated the VFD inputs to get you started. You can get most of the features you are asking about, but the proximity sensor and some of the more advance interlocks/controls requires a new system build either on the current control board or a new drop in replacement. You will also need to map out all the wiring and you would need a new wiring harness and front panel switches. Doable, but probably takes 2-3 weeks to get it all together depending on available time. A known VFD system build takes me about 16-20 hours to put together. Maybe JBOLT can provide some information on the foot brake dual pole limit switch he used. I think if you have a mechanical foot brake, then probably a good safety feature in addition to the normal VFD braking, but the VFD needs to have a freewheel command. You will need a VFD braking resistor, these are suggestions:
https://www.digikey.com/product-det...passive-product/TJT50047RJ/A123924-ND/5878245
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ohmite/WFH330L50RJE/WFH330L50RJE-ND/824606
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ohmite/WFH330L50RJE

I already have programming parameters for the 1440GT basic conversion, the WJ200 is fairly straight forward to program once you get your hands on it. The enclosure must be at leas 8" deep, the resistors are are 11-13" long, a 12x12" box you may be limited to the Ohmite, as the TE is 13".
Regards,
mark

Thanks Mark, I sent a PM but not sure if it got to you. Thanks for all the info I'm sure I will do a better job with your help.

Mark/Jay, does the 1440GT have a main rotary switch on it for on/off, or any main?

Do you by any chance have a schematic for it? I need to start getting familiar with my new machine and its wiring.

Last edited:
Hi Jay,
It does not have a rotary power disconnect switch, you could add one either at the machine or at the VFD enclosure. There is also enough room in the headstock cabinet to mount the VFD in the cabinet. I have a schematic, but not sure it is going to help but I can send it to you. It also seems that there is a wide variation in how they are wired and components, so it may be worthwhile see how your shows up. I did get your PM and sent you additional information.
Mark.

Thanks Mark, I will try to send pictures of the wiring when the GT gets here, they say Friday. I appreciate our help. I will start gathering parts after I/we decide what functions are the best for my needs. I got your email. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Jerry,
Maybe JBOLT can provide some information on the foot brake dual pole limit switch he used.

I used a Honeywell GLEA24C micro switch though I don't know what is micro about it. Installation requires drilling two new mounting holes in the base.

Back