PM-1440GS or PM1340GT lathe or maybe a PM1440GT

That is the same one I recommended to another 1440GT owner the other days, either great minds think alike or we are both getting senile and are looking at the same thing. Good to know. I am going to but together some schematics that use the basic contactors, but will have a few more extended control features if one wants to step it up. You can get a very nice install for minimal investment and get some very nice control features. The other option to keep the costs down is to mount the VFD in the headstock cabinet on some L brackets, and swing out the side panel for access.
Thanks JBOLT.

I'm pretty sure you recommended that one to me otherwise it probably would have been from Automation Direct.

Mark/Jay, does the 1440GT have a main rotary switch on it for on/off, or any main?

Do you by any chance have a schematic for it? I need to start getting familiar with my new machine and its wiring.

On/Off is through the e-stop. As delivered, when hooked up to power, the factory power supply is always under power. I added a 32A 110vac contactor controlled by a lighted 22mm switch switch to act as a main so all power is disconnected when off.

There is no factory wiring schematic in the manual. That may come later when PM prepares their own manuals.

Thanks Jay, I think I will have a main on the machine or VFD box to kill the whole machine too.

Well, the work started today. It was here around 1PM, picked it up 2PM, home 3PM and uncrated 4PM, done for the day.

You did good Matt. So far I can hardly even find a scuff in the paint. Everything looks very good on fit and finish. The dark grey base and the light blue-grey (off white) machine go together very well. I'll be cleaning this thing for a week.

I was afraid of how big it would be. It doesn't seem big at all, very compact size to me compared to some machines I've been around.

After seeing some of the shops you could eat off the floor here I'm ashamed to let anyone see my cluttered/unfinished shop.

Last edited:
Jer, congrats on the new machine.

I guess you know about getting all the cosmoline off as you've had to deal with it before but I noticed when using WD40 the nastier the rag got, the better it cleaned.

David

PS. We are ready for some pictures.

My problem is getting the pictures from my phone to my email. Then to my facebook, I guess, I'm not up on these things. If I can get them to my email, I run out of knowledge on the rest. I guess its one of the disadvantages of being out enough to retire. LOL

We'll see what I can do.

After seeing some of you guys shops that I could eat off the floor I'm ashamed to show pictures from in my cluttered/unfinished shop.

Last edited:
There is probably a post or two on here how to post pictures.

I plug my phone into my computer via the USB charging cable, it asks me if I want to open the files on the phone and then copy the ones I want to my computer/pictures directory.

I then open up Photobucket.com which I use to host my pictures and then upload the pictures to Photobucket.
It's mostly follow the commands, there are other photo hosting sites that some people think are better but I stated with PB and just live with that fact that's it slow sometimes. I've heard paid subscriptions work better and you don't get pop up adverts.

Then once the pictures are uploaded to Photobucket, on the right side there is a few boxes with links in them, I copy the link "direct" using Control "C" and then go back to my posting, click the place where I want the photo to appear and then go up to the top of the post and find the little picture icon, click it and then "Control "P" to paste the link into the window, click OK and the image appears in the post, keep doing it for the next picture etc.

I always put 2 spaces between pictures so they are spaced out a little which makes them look better IMO.

Good luck.

David.

Back