PM-1440GS or PM1340GT lathe or maybe a PM1440GT

Hi Jay, wouldn't I need to change the foot brake switch out to use the mechanical feature and the VFD from the start?

When programming the VFD just set the braking to freewheel and try the mechanical brake. This will make more sense when you get to the programming. If I can do it anyone can. LOL

I like the skirt/shelf mod idea! Looking forward to see how that works out.

How will the vfd know to freewheel without a switch to signal to do so?

I bet you get the "drawer" built before I do. I could put the VFD in the drawer on the left side. I really like your build.

I started looking at the wiring and pulling wires out of the raceways today. I'm Leary to start removing wires. LOL.

The foot brake limit switch is currently a single pole, which is NC. When you step on the brake it disconnects the 24VAC to the contactors and breaks all the motion contacts, contactors and de energizes the power contactor. The spindle switch must be placed in the stop position for the power contactor to reset. You replace the current brake limit switch with a dual pole (DPDT) snap action limit switch, the second NO pole connect the P24 from the VFD to an input programmed to freewheel the VFD. This is in the program parameters sent to you. When the 24VAC pole is broken, the other separate switch connects the programed freewheel input to P24. The VFD will freewheel as long as the brake is pressed at any position. Should you just tap the brake and release it the VFD will implement a controlled stop. When going to other more elaborate relay control system, the way that everything works is a bit different, but you still need to replace the limit switch with a DPDT. I recommend what JBOLT has outlined which is to use the foot brake as a manual system. Having done a number of systems different ways, we also overlook that there are times when you want to use the manual brake to lock the spindle for things like manual tapping, or sometimes you want some form of controlled slow braking.

A little update, Mark and Jay have been a wealth of knowledge and a little (make that a lot) hand holding. I have stripped out the wiring needed in preparation for the VFD, programming and rewiring. While deciding on my wiring approach and which features I want to implement. I started mounting the DRO. The directions are the least wordy I have found so far. They give the required info if you look hard enough. You-tube was very helpful too. I need to fab one bracket this week for the Z axis scale and it will be done. I will do the X axis this week if time allows. I'm quite a bit shorter than Jay (jbolt) and I need to raise the lathe at least the height of a good set of leveling feet like Jay and others have. 2" may be enough for me. Now to decide on which one to use.

If you can figure out your 'ideal' height for the lathe, you will really appreciate that fact if you have to stand in front of it for any appreciable amount of time. My 1340GT is just on leveling feet, and it is a little too close to the floor for me (6'2"), but is usable. Hopefully soon I will be able to get my hands on a welder and make some proper extensions/small platforms to raise it up just a bit.

I understand completely Bill. Jay is 6'1" if I remember right and he raised his GT 6". I'm only 5'6" and have my 1030V at 46" spindle height if I remember right. I like to stand up not bending over the machine, my back won't take much of that before I'm done for the day. I think they come at 42" spindle height. I will try to use the cast leveling feet that came with it first before buying anything.

First I'm jealous but now I'm envious, you guys with wives that tell ya go ahead must be pure angels in there eyes. Mine bellyachs when I spend twenty bucks on used tooling. God bless you and your LATHES a dream for me , of course I want a old monarch around 14" . But I'm happy with my logan it'll outlast me.

Thanks, we are all Blessed, each to a different measure. My wife WANTED me to do SOMETHING after I retired and has supported me with several machine purchases to setup my "farm" machine shop (that sounds good anyway), but the money came from my retirement funds. I think it is a good "investment".

Back