PM-1440GT lathe , and PM-30 bench mill land tomorrow!

Spotshooter

Registered
Registered
I’m at work -and it isn’t easy to work...

I moved everything in the basement this weekend so the riggers can move the lathe and mill into thier new home.
They arrive in Kansas City today at the riggers location, and will be delivered to my house bright and early on Tuesday

I ordered all my VFD enclosure, and piece parts last week so most of them show up on Tuesday, a couple pieces will get here later in the week.

Finally !!! - It’s been a long wait to save up enough to cover all this stuff.

Anybody want a used Grizzly (smallest one they make) bench mill, and cheapo tractor supply drill press (also smallest they had).. :)

Looks like quite a change in size as far as the milling machine goes! Show us some pictures if you can and give impressions of your new machines. I always have disliked looking at baby pictures but machinery is a different story.

Last edited:
Well they made it to me and the rigger put them down in the basement.

The only couple of things I found out I did not known...

1) I had to order ways oil, and the machine oils ... I got them through a chevron distributor, but plan on 5 gal. Buckets. :)

2) When you order a off the shelf Aloris quick change it comes with the “t—nut” blank... that you have to machine to fit your cross saddle.
If you order the Aloris with your new machine PM will setup up with a cut one from aloris, OR. If you order directly from aloris you can spec. The T-nut size and they will precision grind one for you. I would have gotten it from Matt if I knew that - they didn’t list aloris on the website, but they can / do have them.

Good thing I ordered a decent Mill HUH :)

Other than that - I leveled the lathe, I’m waiting on the VFD, and the 24volt power supply and I’ll be able to get her spinning, all the other piece parts for the VFD cabinet are here so all good...

Now I need to get get some kerosene to remove all this heavy anti-corrosive junk off... I’ll wait until I have the ways oil so I can recoat it immediately after I clean it.

Other than that I need to get some Anchor bolts for the rigs... and start putting together the VFD cabinet so when the last parts get here I can have the thing ready to go.

F564296D-1235-4478-A8A3-C621C5BD940F.jpeg

051E2F51-503E-4456-AB83-B7998AE38EF6.jpeg

6D911D52-6C14-49C1-9B5D-BD61BAF360E8.jpeg

Shiny!!! Oh and look at all that unused space! I have no idea what that is like...LOL

The good thing about kerosene is that it is a light oil so it provides some protection. Also makes a great cutting fluid for aluminum and stainless if you can deal with the odor.

You're better off cutting the t-nut yourself. You know it will be right. :encourage:

I'm envious of all that clear space. I have a 3 bay garage, and nothing like that for clear work area.
You will be having some fun! Machines look great!

I’ll probably use mineral spirits to clean up the gunk, I was thinking about kerosene and then remembered the stank...

I was a tad nervous about milling the T-nut, but provided I take my time it should be fine. Using that small griz mill on steel wasn’t all that good of thing, this mill is more than 3 times that size so it should be a breeze.

I bought a gallon of WD40 ( pretty cheap this way) and a spray bottle. Pretty economical this way.....and does a great job cleaning oil off the tools that are covered in oil for shipping and for getting the gunk off the machines.

Good way to go. Then when the clean up Isco plate you can use the WD40 as a lubricant for cutting items such as aluminum.

I got ways oil (Vactra) 220 and some 68.. I like the heavier stuff.

Headstock & apron take different oil of course I stayed with Chevron per the manufacturer spec, and got 5 gal containers so I can do that first couple of change outs which we all are supposed to do :)

I’ll be cleaning them up tonight and coating them !! Then it’s mill the aloris T-nut out of the factory supplied bank (have to run the 220 to the mill first). Once those are done the VFD should be here and it’s conversion time.

BIG GRIN... I want to put a muzzle break on one of my barrels, and I have a new 6 Creedmore custom reamer coming... just brimming with excitement.

My first impression was that the mill is too small for the lathe, or the lathe is too large for the mill. But then I use my mill more than my lathe for pistolwork and whatnot. ;)

Regardless, congrats on getting your machines into their new home, have fun getting them set up, and enjoy them for many years to come. :)

Back