PM-1440GT, Taking the plunge, final answer?

All's good. Moving ahead with plans for a10hp RPC system. For now, just have purchased the idler motor, a used Baldor, which I should see Monday.

More than machine energy, heating will be a concern if I spend much time in the shop (I like the sounds of that better than garage). :grin:

Continuing to read more threads here - just a great forum. Thanks guys.

50 years ago I made a RPC from a used motor a set of capacitors, one momentary contact switch and one on/off switch. It worked fine for 5 years or so until I moved to a place with 3 phase. The only reason I used capacitors was to give that 3rd leg a kick to start the motor spinning. As soon as I released the momentary contact switch they were out of the circuit. I enclosed the caps because it is possible for them, to under go "unplanned disassembly!" You can avoid the caps by using a small single phase motor to start the 3 phase motor spinning, then "de-clutch" the little motor. I suspect none of this meets the national electric code.

@Larry$ I get that it worked. If you had checked with an RMS meter you would have found that you 3 phase legs weren't voltage balanced. The trick is to get the legs to all be 220 volts. It is harder than it looks.

@Larry$ I get that it worked. If you had checked with an RMS meter you would have found that you 3 phase legs weren't voltage balanced. The trick is to get the legs to all be 220 volts. It is harder than it looks.
Yes, I know they weren't voltage balanced. I didn't care. The motors it was running almost never operated at full power. This home brew RPC will never provide full power on the motors it powers. Maybe 85%??

I would hate to have to go back to using single phase power! My current shop has 800A 208V 3 phase. 208V was a mistake in some ways but it was that or 460/480.

Any one here experienced a knocking noise coming out of the gearbox on a persision mathews 1440gt it came then it gone

Back