PM-1440GT, Taking the plunge, final answer?

Hello again.

A question or a few about chucks.

Considerations between 8" and 10" of the same construction, quality etc...

Is a larger heavier chuck harder on the lathe? Conversely, does that heavier weight and more momentum lead to better finishes, or cuts?

Thinking d1-5 direct mount independent 4-jaw holding a "jig" about 3.5" diameter. Pros or cons 10" vs 8"

Of course money is no object! LOL

Would I ever regret splurging for a forged steel chuck?

Input is appreciated.

If your talking about an action truing jig, then a 8" 4 jaw holds it just fine. I actually mounted my action truing fixture on a D1-4 backplate, so when installed it runs true, without having to dial it in like in a 4 jaw. The larger the chuck is, the more it weighs and the more it weighs, the less likely you'll be able to easily swap it out without some mechanical assistance. The larger diameter also has more rotational energy, so slower to stop. I've been satisfied with the 6" 3 jaw chuck that came with PM-1340GT preferred equipment package and the precision 8" 4 jaw I added at purchase. I don't think anyone is ever going to say they regretted buying a higher quality/higher precision chuck but your probably going to have to be well above $1000 each, to beat the ones that could come with the purchase for about $400 (if they were in stock).

Just my .02, I have the same machine on order since the end of Oct beginning of Nov. I have heard good things about the 8" 4 jaw chuck that PM sells. One thing to consider is if you are going with the 1440GT because of the spindle bore, the 8" 4 jaw they sell thru hole is smaller that the spindle bore. Just something to consider and make sure you are aware of. I decided to go another way. I also tried twice to pay and upgrade to a better 3 jaw and was told both times not possible even though some have been told no problem. In my most recent attempt I was told that the Chandox chuck will be months out. I'll start with the 3 jaw that will come with the machine and if I out grow it or get to the point I fell I need something better well it's just money right??

I have yet to find a need for a 10" chuck on my 1440GT. The 8" are heavy enough to lug around.

Check the manufacturers max RPM rating. I believe most 10" chucks are less than the max RPM of the 1440GT.

My 8" 3 & 4 jaw chucks are both Gator brand. I have been very pleased with both.

I just measured my 8" 4 jaw and bore ID is 1.958" and I bet there is enough meat there to take .042" off with a boring bar to make it 2" ID if you just had to have 2".

Thanks guys.

Some good ideas to consider.

Yes, the PM 4-jaw was on my list.

Since we're spending theoretical money....

I am wanting a Dorian 14 piece starter set for the tool post.

Anyone running a 3hp three-phase off a rotary phase converter? Will a 5hp idler get it done?

I do not recommend a starter set. I've been down this path. Dorian packages into those sets a bunch of tools that are not very useful. Buy the QCTP and the tooling separately.

Anyone running a 3hp three-phase off a rotary phase converter? Will a 5hp idler get it done?

I had a 5 HP RPC for my 2 HP 3-phase mill. Then I got the PM-1440GT, hoping the RPC would handle it.

No Go. I couldn't get the 2000 RPM lathe speed without tripping its breaker. So worked out a deal with North American Rotary to upgrade with a second 5 HP idler.

IMG_0366.JPG

I have a PM 8" 4 jaw, not the ultra precision, and I found an older steel Pratt on Ebay. The Pratt(England) is a smoother chuck to dial in, the brand new PM went back in the box.

I had a 5 HP RPC for my 2 HP 3-phase mill. Then I got the PM-1440GT, hoping the RPC would handle it.

No Go. I couldn't get the 2000 RPM lathe speed without tripping its breaker. So worked out a deal with North American Rotary to upgrade with a second 5 HP idler.

View attachment 351957
Bill....
How loud is that RPC when it is sitting on the floor like that?

Back