PM-1440GT, Taking the plunge, final answer?

I have a PM 8" 4 jaw, not the ultra precision, and I found an older steel Pratt on Ebay. The Pratt(England) is a smoother chuck to dial in, the brand new PM went back in the box.
I have a small Pratt on my 1022 lathe. It is not a true set chuck, but it is head and shoulders above what came with my lathe.

Bill....
How loud is that RPC when it is sitting on the floor like that?
It's loud. The frame holding the motors is sitting on soft rubber feet, but the motors groan a lot. Fortunately only two of my machines are 3-phase.

Bill

If your talking about an action truing jig, then a 8" 4 jaw holds it just fine. I actually mounted my action truing fixture on a D1-4 backplate, so when installed it runs true, without having to dial it in like in a 4 jaw. The larger the chuck is, the more it weighs and the more it weighs, the less likely you'll be able to easily swap it out without some mechanical assistance. The larger diameter also has more rotational energy, so slower to stop. I've been satisfied with the 6" 3 jaw chuck that came with PM-1340GT preferred equipment package and the precision 8" 4 jaw I added at purchase. I don't think anyone is ever going to say they regretted buying a higher quality/higher precision chuck but your probably going to have to be well above $1000 each, to beat the ones that could come with the purchase for about $400 (if they were in stock).
I'd be interested in more details on your jig/backplate set up.

It's loud. The frame holding the motors is sitting on soft rubber feet, but the motors groan a lot. Fortunately only two of my machines are 3-phase.

Bill
Hmmm. That is a bummer but thank you so much for the response.

More thanks to all...

RPC... Had better go 7.5 or 10.

I want the 3hp, and 3ph but not the VFD challenge initially. Plug'n'Play I would.

Also my mill is a bit of a weirdo with a 2 speed motor and I'd like to see it at full hp as designed. Its on a SPC now.

Plus, who doesn't want to get 3-phase panels, breakers, and wiring all rigged up! ChaaChing! LOL

Want

s-l400(1).jpg

Last edited:
Back