PM-1440GT, Taking the plunge, final answer?

I'd be interested in more details on your jig/backplate set up.

4" OD, 1.65" ID, 6" OAL, aluminum tipped set screws, slot cut for a bolt handle if you want to true a bolt. I think I bought the D1-4 backplate from Grizzly or CDCOtools.

action truing jig.jpg

Back of aluminum jig is tapped 3/8"x24 and bolted to D1-4 backplate.
action truing jig2.jpg

Last edited:
Found a 10hp Baldor. Moving ahead with the RPC.

Curious. Is a static phase converter (1-3hp) supposed to make crazy end of the world noises when it's making the third phase, like Thor's hammer hitting lightning???

Last edited:
Found a 10hp Baldor. Moving ahead with the RPC.

Curious. Is a static phase converter (1-3hp) supposed to make crazy end of the world noises when it's making the third phase, like Thor's hammer hitting lightning???
Mine doesn't. It makes a pretty decent buzzing sound but no hammering.

Of course mine is a static converter, it looks like you're checking a rotary converter. Two different things....

John

Mine doesn't. It makes a pretty decent buzzing sound but no hammering.

Of course mine is a static converter, it looks like you're checking a rotary converter. Two different things....

John
I have a static converter now, just new. It's more than buzzing.

Thanks

As I have no experience with RPCs what is the cost in electricity vs. a VFD? The RPC is always running while on correct? Where a VFD draws on demand?

At 3hp and under it seems to me the VFD offers more advantages is cost to setup and then to operate? I suppose it may not be an issue in a hobby environment but I know my electricity bill reflects my usage when I work on projects that take lots of hours.

As I have no experience with RPCs what is the cost in electricity vs. a VFD? The RPC is always running while on correct? Where a VFD draws on demand?

At 3hp and under it seems to me the VFD offers more advantages is cost to setup and then to operate? I suppose it may not be an issue in a hobby environment but I know my electricity bill reflects my usage when I work on projects that take lots of hours.
If there was a plug-n-play VFD solution it'd be a viable option.

At idle, I believe the cost to operate a RPC is negligible. Hopefully, lol.

I desire the 3HP motor, 3PH, and option to VFD down the road.

My RPC is rated at 15HP, which is around 11KW max. It takes around 300W idle, if that helps - that's around 3% losses or 97% efficiency. These values are not trying to be exact, no need. The 300W was measured on a 1% wattmeter.

It would be reasonable to expect these numbers to scale, so a 5 HP idler motor might tale a little more than 3% to idle, say 120 watts. You should use a 5HP rotary to start a 3HP motor, in ballpark terms.

My home built static was noisy until I got the current controlled relay right. The contacts chattered.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back