PM 1640 LB-E up and running!

rc63

Active User
Registered
Finally got the lathe up and running! After some tech advice from the one and only Ray C (Thanks again!) , I was able to tweak her in pretty close. Going out to see if I can tweak a few more tenths this morning and call it good. So here are the results so far.

Bob C.

019.jpg

001.jpg 019.jpg

Great. .0007" in 10+ inches is pretty damn good in my book. Let's see some pics of the whole lathe now that you have it set up.

Congrats on the new lathe as well.

Mike.

Can't say for sure due to the angle of the photo but, it looks like you've got quite a bit of stick-out on the TS RAM. Draw it in as close as you can because everything flexes under pressure -everything. The TS RAM is probably flexing just a tiny bit. If I were you, I'd call it a day and check again after a few weeks of use. Also be aware that your garage/shop floor expands and contracts with temperature and moisture variances throughout the days, weeks and seasons so, absolute perfection/stability is only something to dream about -and is not really attainable.

Also, rarely ever does the full length of a shaft require that level of precision -and when it does, a different shop tool is used to do the work. Critical shaft dimensions are usually for bearing beds etc. which are rarely ever more than 1.25" in length.

Moral of the story: Quit before you drive yourself nuts or get a backache.

Ray

Yeah I didn't mess with anymore "tweaking". I took another skim cut yesterday and it was @ .0005. Ill have more pics soon. Thanks!

Bob C.

Back