PM-1660TL

On my last two drawings, The crosshatched areas contain items that are bolted down with anchor bolts or, in the case of the PM-1660TL, the equivalent of such.

The AMP rotary phase converter, welding table and all welding carts and tool chests are on casters.

I made this plan with little consideration for cart and tool chest parking.

Nice setup for working on bikes, I have been biking for 50+ years, and seems these days one needs a much wider assortment of tools to work on the newer bikes. These days I ride more MTB and also have one adapted for paved pathways and streets, the full suspension takes a lot of the fatigue out of riding.

On the discussion of VFD vs. RPC, the VFD is more expensive vs. a conventional RPC, I indicated that it would be about 1.5K to do a VD install with using the Hitachi or Yaskawa VFD with a basic install. I have helped numerous people do the basic install on their lathe, but it is not a turnkey solution and even with all the directions people make mistakes. There are also less expensive RPC options, typical 10 Hp units run around 1K, or much less if you want to piece it together. The AMP is a more expensive RPC option, but it is very quiet/compact, does not require a sub panel, or any significant wiring. I have done 100's of VFD installs, on the lathe it is not plug and play. Above 3Hp, the cost of the VFD's go up steeply and require a bit more complexity in their install and setup. If you have the time and knowledge, then it is an alternate 3 phase power option. It is machine specific were and RPC can run multiple 3 phase machines, and the AMP is small and easily moved. One of the biggest complaints about RPC's is the noise of the idler motor, some are open style, and the 3600 RPM idlers are very annoying in the background. Better RPC's use lower RPM motors some are sealed TEFC. So different choices based on the circumstances.

I understand that with any VFD there would have been no way to keep the foot brake on the PM-1660TL. This development by itself would make me very disappointed.

The lathes that we had at school had a foot brake, and I really enjoyed incorporating my foot into the work.

I also like to give my floors a deep scrubbing now & again, and I found the fact that the AMP is on wheels very attractive, as well as the fact that it is made in the USA & 60 dB max.

I understand that with any VFD there would have been no way to keep the foot brake on the PM-1660TL. This development by itself would make me very disappointed.

The lathes that we had at school had a foot brake, and I really enjoyed incorporating my foot into the work.

I also like to give my floors a deep scrubbing now & again, and I found the fact that the AMP is on wheels very attractive, as well as the fact that it is made in the USA & 60 dB max.

erik,

I have a couple of friends with VFDs and have foot brakes..... will have to look into it, how it any different than an E-stop switch??

Last edited:
Mine has a factory installed vfd and I have a foot brake.

erik,

I have a couple of friends with VFDs and have foot brakes..... will have to look into it, how it any different than an E-stop switch??
I am not very adept at electronics, but I read that it was because the E-stop switch is electrical and the mechanical foot brake is mechanical.

I will try to find out where I read that the mechanical foot brake ends up disabled on a VFD install.

Edit: Now that I have the machine, I see that the foot brake stops the chuck very quickly, while the E-stop merely cuts power and the chuck “coasts” to a stop.

Last edited:
It would be unless a switch was installed.
Hold on, there has to be a switch anyway.
This might be an interesting thread for you.

Last edited:
Back