PM-1660TL

There is a programmable in the VFD that turns off braking, allowing the spindle to free-wheel. I do this on my mill to allow usage of the mechanical brake.

Per what Bill indicated. This is outlined in the 1440GT VFD basic install (adding a dual pole brake switch) and needs to be incorporated into the VFD control system. When the manual foot brake is depressed with the stock control system it breaks power to the contactors and to a power relay thus stopping the motor run command and allowing you to stop the lathe manually. In order to reset the power relay which provides power to the contactors, the spindle switch needs to be in the stop position. With a VFD system, you issue what is known as a base block or free run command which disconnects the VFD output section to the motor. This stops the VFD running command as long as the command is present, but if directly wired to the VFD input via the brake switch, the VFD run command will restart the lathe when the foot brake is released. A very dangerous scenario. So when using a VFD you need to both stop the spindle run command and issue a free run command, and also have it not restart after you release the foot brake. This is typically done with a latching relay. Below is a VFD control system for a 1640TL, not inclusive of the front panel control, speed and RPM controls. Not what I would consider a simple or inexpensive build, the parts alone were close to 2K and that was paying far below list price for many of the parts. One can see both a power relay and a brake relay, there are many interlocks and redundancy in the controls. This system was run off of a master RPC for the shop so we were bale to get by with a 3.7kW VFD, if single phase input the VFD would be twice the cost and larger.

Acra 1640 Control Board for VFD system.jpg

Stock control board
1593921691826.jpeg

That chainring looks huge.
What are the certificates for?

That chainring is 70 tooth. The certificates are from United Bicycle Institute for Bicycle Repair & Framebuilding.

I put the welding table & “welder in use” in place. These casters are temporary.
image.jpg

Here is where the PM-1660TL will go. The 20” X 20” chest is in place of the rotary phase converter (which is a cart). The area filled with blue boxes on the ground, the workbench and the welding carts is where the big lathe sits.
image.jpg

The lathe will be right up against the garage door:
image.jpg

Here is where I am thinking about bolting in the small lathe and mill. I saved room to wheel in 4 of my welding carts behind them.
image.jpg

I moved the bicycle repair stand further away from the wall because there is a road bike that I hang up on the ceiling behind there.

I have two ground anchors down there that someone working on a bike might trip over, but when the repair stand is not in use I will park 4 bikes there.
image.jpg

Back