PM-1660TL

I will email PM to see if the taper attachment interferes with the DRO scale.

If it does, this is the less desirable backup plan (which is what I have for my current lathe).
63373C3B-9494-4C0F-8009-A7BFB848771B.jpeg

Looks like there would be plenty of room below the taper adapter.

Looks like there would be plenty of room below the taper adapter.

It looks like that to me, too.

On the PM website, it allows you to put the following items in your cart and check out:
(1) DRO,
(2) DRO installation, and
(3) taper attachment

Mark, I think Paco got the RML 1640 which has a 2" spindle bore but the TL 1640 which appears to be what QMT is importing has a 2.55" spindle bore.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct, each distributor specifies the build requirements, so there are some differences between distributors. The 2.55" spindle that QMT offers is the largest I have seen at this price level and below. The D1-6 chucks are pretty massive. This lathe is also sold by Kent and a few other US distributors in various iterations. I have the ERL-1340 which is also made by Sunmaster, similar to you it was what I looked at years ago and couldn't justify the cost at the time. A move motivated me to sell my 1340GT rather than have another machine to move, and I was fortunate to be able to order an ERL-1340 from Matt and have had it about a year. My friend who purchased the 1640 was very picky, and we were both very impressed by the lathe. It is a beast, super quiet and solid. We installed a factory taper attachment, in the back of the lathe, took two of us to install. The alignment is critical so nothing binds. Once set, it is drilled and doweled. not an easy task. Took us a few tries, it was very heavy.

Machine takes a CXA Tool Post.

Last edited:
Congratulations, getting ready for its arrival should be good to keep your mind busy. Renting a forklift shouldn't be an issue, I don't think most rental companies care if you know how to operate a piece of equipment.

In front of the door seems like a good spot for it, and it gives you access to the backside by opening the door.

You can make an extension cord for the welder, I just made a 20 footer for mine, I think it was about $60 in parts and materials for a 30A circuit.

A second lathe is useful. For one thing smaller lathers have smaller tools that weigh less so it is less work to change things up. I still use my Sherline for a lot of stuff even though I have a bigger lathe available, because it works really well for small projects. Two lathes can also be handy if you have multiple parts that require some special set up. You can do some of the work on one, and then move to the other lathe to do the other part saving you set up time compared to only having one lathe.

As far as the interest rate, 22% is pretty bad, about $220 a month in interest on $12000. Realistically people blow that much all the time on less cool stuff. A mocha and a blueberry muffin at Starbucks every morning going to work is about $150 /mo and gazillions of people do that without a second thought. I've got 2 storage units of my mothers stuff that I'm paying almost $200 a month for. She passed away almost 2 years ago so that is almost $4000 basically for nothing, I know there is probably less than a truck load of stuff my brother or I might actually want. I really need to get those things emptied out. :oops:

This lathe, right now might not be your wisest choice, but fun things often are not the most prudent. We need fun things in our lives so we don't go crazy. :encourage:

You'll figure out a way to mount the Z-axis scale with the taper attachment in place. PM might have some ideas, but nothing beats having the hardware right in front of you.

Not a beast of a machine like your 1660, but here's what I did on my 14x40 G0709. I mounted a bracket for the read head off the bottom of what Grizzly's manual calls the 'body' of the taper attachment. If you look at the first photo you'll see a pull dowel and cap screw in the upper LH corner. That's the LH (from the rear) mount of the TA body to the carriage. I don't plan on ever pulling the TA, so went this route. I'd have to find another mounting location if the TA was pulled.

I also tapped a hole for a flat-head cap screw in the carriage which acts as a stop to protect the X/Y scale from getting hit by the tail stock.

Bruce

#10.jpg

#11.jpg

#05.jpg

#06.jpg

I continue to be astounded as to how friendly, insightful, helpful & engaged the people on this forum are. I will have to pay that foreward.

I see that the PM-1660TL has a slip clutch on the feed rod. At one point, I will want to buy/make/modify some micrometer carriage stop to take advantage of this feature.

EDIT: The machine comes included with a micrometer carriage stop.

Last edited:
Erik, Erik, Erik, <sigh>

a 16 x 60?? Egads your starting a arms race, next a member will get a 18 x 80, then that will have to be surpassed. Its like the USSR develops a 40 MT warhead, then the US has to develop a 50MT Warhead, then it just keeps going up. Where will the madness end......................:)

I went from a 12 x 30 lathe to a 14 x 40 lathe, the difference in work envelope difference seemed huge, going from a 10 x 30 to a 16 x 60, will be like comparing a drainage ditch to the Grand Canyon. Obviously the majority of us are quite envious of your purchase. I had quite a chore fitting the 14 x 40 into my shop, there is no way a 16 x 60 would fit, unless, I put everything else in the shop outdoors.

your going to need a gantry or jib crane, to lift the chucks or maybe even the work piece.....

It goes without saying, we want and need. Pictures of the beast when it arrives.

Last edited:
If the lathe has already been ordered, skip this post...

If it has not been ordered, I strongly advise stopping everything. Per your other thread, you've been through a very traumatic event and your mind is not where it needs to be for a decision like this. You almost seem to know it, too, saying how much of an issue getting the lathe is going to be. Financing something like this is just throwing money away. What is it about this lathe that you absolutely must have it right now?

I sense that you're on the edge of being self-destructive, punishing yourself (via the financing) under the delusion that the lathe is what you need right now. This makes me think of a guy who's wife leaves him, so he buys a new Corvette and gets a stripper girlfriend to compensate. Is doing that really going to make him feel better? Normally, issues like this are handled offline and in private, but since you posted about this and the other event, expect to get more public input!

And no, I've never been one for candy-wrapping my thoughts...

Back