PM-1660TL

If the lathe has already been ordered, skip this post...

If it has not been ordered, I strongly advise stopping everything. Per your other thread, you've been through a very traumatic event and your mind is not where it needs to be for a decision like this. You almost seem to know it, too, saying how much of an issue getting the lathe is going to be. Financing something like this is just throwing money away. What is it about this lathe that you absolutely must have it right now?

I sense that you're on the edge of being self-destructive, punishing yourself (via the financing) under the delusion that the lathe is what you need right now. This makes me think of a guy who's wife leaves him, so he buys a new Corvette and gets a stripper girlfriend to compensate. Is doing that really going to make him feel better? Normally, issues like this are handled offline and in private, but since you posted about this and the other event, expect to get more public input!

And no, I've never been one for candy-wrapping my thoughts...
I always welcome posts such as this.

The loan has already been completed, and the deposit has already been received by PM.

I do have a high income, & I live in a 6 income household.

I had budgeted to spend this much on tuition, and the school plan has been cancelled.

I don’t need this large of a machine, but the project I am working on now calls for a 2” spindle through.

And there is no prepayment penalty on the loan if I can ever stop buying stuff!

Erik,

where did you get the taper attachment, you showed in post #31

Last edited:
Erik, you can easily add another 220v circuit to a full panel by replacing four single house breakers with two slim double beakers. That will leave you with two slots for your new 220v circuit. Pick 15A or 20A circuits to use the new breakers on. It's a legit fix.

After reading this thread, I wandered over to the PM site and they have a 1440TL in stock! Good thing I can't afford it! :bang head:

I am just now sitting down to research methods of converting single phase to 3 phase.

My uncle was an electrician his whole career, and he says that I am making a terrible mistake bringing a 3 phase machine into my suburban home. He says that the device & installation is prohibitively expensive.

I need to make this work. I gather that a lot of other people run big three phase machines off of 220V single phase. My first idea is a frequency drive unit.

I see that the PM-1660TL calls for a 30A circuit. I have a 40A 220V outlet right there.

Last edited:
Erik, you can easily add another 220v circuit to a full panel by replacing four single house breakers with two slim double beakers. That will leave you with two slots for your new 220v circuit. Pick 15A or 20A circuits to use the new breakers on. It's a legit fix.

One of my 220V welders calls for a 40A breaker. I wonder if I could obtain that with two slim double breakers.

I was with the electrician when he wired my 40A, 220V outlet which has both three and four prong (female) receptacles. He was telling me how our panel was jam packed with wires.

Our house used to be one house, and the previous owner put another house on top of it so we have 2 water heaters, 2 furnaces, etc. The electrician (my uncle) says that we will never be able to install A/C.

The outlet has been a champ for welding, and I may share that outlet with the lathe.

Regarding 3-phase: I have a PM 1340GT lathe and a 935TS mill. Both are 3-phase, and each have their own VFD. Wiring the mill is dead simple. The lathe on the other hand was confusing to me. Good think Mark (mksj) was willing to help me with a control setup that has a micrometer stop, jog, soft-start, and two-stage braking. I don't miss a foot brake at all. :)

Back