PM-1660TL

So a few things that I would recommend and some considerations for a 3 phase power source. My first recommendation for a turn key type of install would be an RPC for this size machine. You have plenty of mechanical gear speeds, the motor is extremely smooth and you have a mechanical brake that will quickly stop the lathe. You would need a 10Hp RPC. The American Rotary phase converter AMP is extremely quiet and you plug one end into the wall and the machines into the other end. The price has increased quite a bit from what I recall a year ago, but I the amp series is extremely quiet and a no brainier. Some recommendation below, most people buy the control box and find a 10Hp motor locally and save about 1K in the cost. eBay sometimes seems to have less expensive models, I do not have the time to sort through the models, I suggest you contact the companies directly to see what fits your needs. Also a number of Youtube posters have discount codes for American Rotary Phase products, so check them out you can usually save 5-10%. I think one was Vintage Machinery, Bar Z Industrial and there were a few others.
Panel

As far as VFD's it is not just a matter of purchasing one that has the proper capacities but also it is not plug and play, it needs to be integrated into a control system, programmed and the parameters adjusted for the particular unit in order for it to run correctly. You need to integrated the electronic braking with the mechanical brake. In most cases you would need a separate VFD enclosure and then integrate the VFD with the lathe, there are two approaches to this, first is to do what I call is a basic install which is what I have previously outlined for the 1440GT. The other alternative is a full system build that replaces all the machine electronics. At the end of the day, an RPC is about 1/2 the price and much simpler.

There are very few native 5 Hp VFD's, the only one that I know is the Yaskawa CIMR-VUBA0018FAA which has sufficient inputs and programming features for this application. I would skip the Chinese generic units that make all kinds of claims as to input/output, I have worked with a few of these and the input terminals and design does not support what they claim. Most people buy the next larger size to somewhat compensate for this, and then there is the manuals which are abysmal as well as no support. I have been involved with two builds for this line of lathes, the first one we went with an oversized Hitachi WJ200 3 phase input derated for either single or 3 phase input and the other was a Yaskawa V1000 which was also similarly derated. The models for this application would be the Hitachi WJ200-075LF, Yaskawa CIMR-VU2A0040FAA, which are 10Hp 3 phase input rated units. It is also recommended to use a DC choke to decrease the ripple and noise when used with single phase input. On these models I use the MTE DCA004003 (40A 1 mH), so between the VFD and choke you are pushing 1K, if you do a basic install add about another $500. Also since these are 10Hp VFD's they can draw very high instantaneous currents, as a minimum you would need a 50-60A 240VAC single phase input supply. This is also what you would need for a 10Hp RPC. The Yaskawa CIMR-VU2A0040FAA has a low enough profile that it should be able to fit into the stock machine cabinet with a full build but it is a complicated process, my recollection was the back plate needed to be cut out for the VFD to be mounted and clear the cover. The CIMR-VUBA0018FAA would need a separate enclosure but would not need a DC choke, since it is a native 5 Hp unit. FYI, on my ERL-1340 with a 3 HP motor I use the CIMR-VU2A0020FAA which is a 5Hp model, 3 phase input.

So it is all doable, but an RPC will be more practical to get you up and running with the least cost. As I mentioned, many individuals purchase the control panel and source an enclosed 1750 RPM motor locally.

Last edited:
See there are some here who really know this stuff. ;)

If you go the RPC route which is sounds like may be the better option in this case, Evan (ACHiPo) was just shopping for one. He mentions it in this thread about his new Graziano 12S. Since he just bought one he might have some tips, current deals, discounts etc.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/graziano-12s.84814/

I bought an American Rotary AR series for my mill. I haven't got it all set up yet, but the sales, shipping, and support were good, and the equipment quality seems to be fantastic. I went rotary because I did not want to rewire my mill, which has a lot of electrics. I plan to upgrade my RPC (American Rotary offers upgrade components to increase capacity rather than making you buy another unit) when I get a bigger lathe and run both tools off of that.

I will execute the 3 phase to single phase conversion with one of these in 10HP (one receptacle and a 6’ cord):

The order was $2,255 including the male receptacle, lift gate shipping & tax.

The salesman said that it is 60 dB max. 60 dB is as loud as normal conversation or a dishwasher.

The 220V single phase plug for this RPC is a NEMA 6-50P:
3F301056-0751-43F6-A4D2-D663A5C46F58.jpeg

Last edited:
So a few things that I would recommend and some considerations for a 3 phase power source. My first recommendation for a turn key type of install would be an RPC for this size machine. You have plenty of mechanical gear speeds, the motor is extremely smooth and you have a mechanical brake that will quickly stop the lathe. You would need a 10Hp RPC. The American Rotary phase converter AMP is extremely quiet and you plug one end into the wall and the machines into the other end. The price has increased quite a bit from what I recall a year ago, but I the amp series is extremely quiet and a no brainier. Some recommendation below, most people buy the control box and find a 10Hp motor locally and save about 1K in the cost. eBay sometimes seems to have less expensive models, I do not have the time to sort through the models, I suggest you contact the companies directly to see what fits your needs. Also a number of Youtube posters have discount codes for American Rotary Phase products, so check them out you can usually save 5-10%. I think one was Vintage Machinery, Bar Z Industrial and there were a few others.
Panel

As far as VFD's it is not just a matter of purchasing one that has the proper capacities but also it is not plug and play, it needs to be integrated into a control system, programmed and the parameters adjusted for the particular unit in order for it to run correctly. You need to integrated the electronic braking with the mechanical brake. In most cases you would need a separate VFD enclosure and then integrate the VFD with the lathe, there are two approaches to this, first is to do what I call is a basic install which is what I have previously outlined for the 1440GT. The other alternative is a full system build that replaces all the machine electronics. At the end of the day, an RPC is about 1/2 the price and much simpler.

There are very few native 5 Hp VFD's, the only one that I know is the Yaskawa CIMR-VUBA0018FAA which has sufficient inputs and programming features for this application. I would skip the Chinese generic units that make all kinds of claims as to input/output, I have worked with a few of these and the input terminals and design does not support what they claim. Most people buy the next larger size to somewhat compensate for this, and then there is the manuals which are abysmal as well as no support. I have been involved with two builds for this line of lathes, the first one we went with an oversized Hitachi WJ200 3 phase input derated for either single or 3 phase input and the other was a Yaskawa V1000 which was also similarly derated. The models for this application would be the Hitachi WJ200-075LF, Yaskawa CIMR-VU2A0040FAA, which are 10Hp 3 phase input rated units. It is also recommended to use a DC choke to decrease the ripple and noise when used with single phase input. On these models I use the MTE DCA004003 (40A 1 mH), so between the VFD and choke you are pushing 1K, if you do a basic install add about another $500. Also since these are 10Hp VFD's they can draw very high instantaneous currents, as a minimum you would need a 50-60A 240VAC single phase input supply. This is also what you would need for a 10Hp RPC. The Yaskawa CIMR-VU2A0040FAA has a low enough profile that it should be able to fit into the stock machine cabinet with a full build but it is a complicated process, my recollection was the back plate needed to be cut out for the VFD to be mounted and clear the cover. The CIMR-VUBA0018FAA would need a separate enclosure but would not need a DC choke, since it is a native 5 Hp unit. FYI, on my ERL-1340 with a 3 HP motor I use the CIMR-VU2A0020FAA which is a 5Hp model, 3 phase input.

So it is all doable, but an RPC will be more practical to get you up and running with the least cost. As I mentioned, many individuals purchase the control panel and source an enclosed 1750 RPM motor locally.

Thanks again for the detailed response. I am really glad that I chose the RPC. The VFD install sounds very daunting.

It looks like I need to completely rearrange everything in the shop in order to accommodate this huge machine.

I currently have 5 things attached to the floor with 24 anchor bolts, but I am going to start with a blank slate.

Fortunately, I have 9 carts so that gives me flexibility.

Too bad that there are 2 water heaters in the 2 car garage. That doesn’t help matters.

Last edited:
It is embarrassing to post this hand drawn layout, but here it is if anybody wants to critique the layout. It is to scale.

The street is at the top of the diagram. I did not show the water heaters that are in the lower right hand corner.

I wonder what is a good width for a walkway. Also, how much room would a big guy need to work between 2 machines?

The welding table is on casters. I don’t want to put any machine tools on casters.

I have 9 carts (which includes the rotary phase converter (marked AMP on the drawing)), so there are 7 carts not shown on the drawing.

The blank “lane” on the right is a lane for parking welding carts.
588E2D8C-2938-4C92-9417-657BDE955EBC.jpeg

Back