PM-1660TL

No room for cars. He still needs to add a horizontal mill, a drill press, shaper and a surface grinder.
Just having fun. You are going to love that lathe.

Soooooo..... no room for cars? :p
I haven’t owned an automobile for 10 years, primarily because I spend so much on tools and the like. My wife & I share a 2009 minivan. We save so much money that way.

I am crazy stingy about spending money on anything other than tools, tuition, or materials. I don’t think that my family is having very much fun, though.

I just bought a CXA QCTP kit without first checking that this machine has a T slotted compound slide (edit: it does, as seen in photo of machine below). When I put a QCTP on my PM-1030V, it was just a simple remove and replace.

The QCTP kit that I bought comes with a “custom “T”-bolt”, but the supplier didn’t ask the model of my machine. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do with that information:
0EAD36D2-34EB-4B20-B546-7C221455BDB0.jpeg

Edit: The Aloris CXA QCTP comes with a T-nut which, while threaded in the middle, requires the purchaser to mill to the size of his or her machine. I did this, and it was very straightforward. The Aloris bolt is also (1) Imperial, and (2) larger than the bolt that came with the 4 position tool post from Taiwan. So don’t expect to use the T-nut or toolpost bolt that comes with an Asian lathe.

Last edited:
Looking at the machine, I think that tool post is going to bolt right on:
E24B6E60-49E1-4995-B24E-27FA66B137B1.png

Now I realize that the 3/4” bolt on the QCTP will probably thread into the “T”-bolt that comes with the lathe.

I am curious to see if the dimensions of lathe “T”-bolts are standardized to the point that I can just remove the factory “T”-bolt and replace it with the Aloris “T”-bolt.

Note: See Edit in Post #72. I used the Aloris T-nut and toolpost bolt.

Last edited:
Probably not, the Aloris tool post thread is imperial, the SunMaster (ERL, RML, TL) come with metric lantern posts. So you will either need to make a new tool post (which is what I did on my ERL) or machine the foot to fit your new machine. I felt it was easier to do the tool post as the foot was not long enough on my Dorian.

I am very happy that I chose the 10HP American Rotary AMP rotary phase converter (primarily because plug & play suits my current skill set), but a friend of mine said that he would have chosen a VFD.

Edit: The RPC was perfect, except I should have chosen a 30A circuit breaker! The 20A breaker trips in the highest speed (1800 RPM).

Last edited:
Probably not, the Aloris tool post thread is imperial, the SunMaster (ERL, RML, TL) come with metric lantern posts. So you will either need to make a new tool post (which is what I did on my ERL) or machine the foot to fit your new machine. I felt it was easier to do the tool post as the foot was not long enough on my Dorian.

Oh, my! There’s a project to put on the list.

Doing a very small amount of research online, I wonder if this would serve:

I just bought and installed a 10 HP RPC from North American Phase Converters
I recommend it if you need 3 phase. A VFD is cheaper and has some advantages if it can work for you.

Last edited:
Erik,
Spending on tuition, tools and materials, although admirable, life and family are important.
My wife made Me take vacations With our two boys and we still go to Europe and Mexico.
The memories are wonderful but that London trip would have paid for a PM1440GT with DRO smiley face.

My next door neighbor, both school teachers, took out a $35,000 second mortgage on their house so they could go to Japan, Australia and New Zealand. I hope their memories are solid gold, because they will be paying for them for quite a while. I‘d never do it, but after my job, roughly 77 countries in about 6 yrs, i have no desire to go anywheres, anymore.

Back