PM-1660TL

I installed a control system and helped my friend setup his Acra 1640 which is the same model lathe. Easy move with a fork lift under the base, I also used a forklift to get mine into the garage. Might look through his thread below. I have mounted my last two lathes near the garage door facing in, when running power to the machine I use 4 wire and breakout 120VAC at the machine. It is an impressive lathe and QMT version has a larger spindle bore in their version. Chucks are very heavy, but TIR was almost not measurable. I had considered it but was just too big and heavy for my needs.

Powering the 3 phase would probably be best solved with a frequency drive unit, you likely would not need to use the variable frequency feature, but it would be quiet, unlike RPCs and give you smooth starts and full horsepower.

I’m so glad that I inquired here! I definitely need it to be as quiet as possible because my neighbor is an epic whiner.

So a frequency drive unit is more quiet?

I installed a control system and helped my friend setup his Acra 1640 which is the same model lathe. Easy move with a fork lift under the base, I also used a forklift to get mine into the garage. Might look through his thread below. I have mounted my last two lathes near the garage door facing in, when running power to the machine I use 4 wire and breakout 120VAC at the machine. It is an impressive lathe and QMT version has a larger spindle bore in their version. Chucks are very heavy, but TIR was almost not measurable. I had considered it but was just too big and heavy for my needs.

That was a really helpful link to the Acra 1640 thread. I had seen very similar machines from different manufacturers, and I will be researching the Acra 1640 extensively.

There is another Pacific Rim manufacturer who sells the same machine: Sun Master.

I agree that borrowing $12,000 for five years at 23% APR is completely stupid.

Last edited:
I think home equity LOC is about 2.5% . Ever consider this ? I'm like Mike , I pay cash for mostly everything .
I own my home with my wife and daughter, and the machine purchase was a solo act.

Not to start a whole conversation about it, but I had a nightmarish personal tragedy in my family a few days before I bought this machine. For better or worse, I needed some mental relief. This lathe has been my dream machine. I don’t have any interests other than metalworking.

That was a really helpful link to the Acra 1640 thread. I had seen very similar machines from different manufacturers, and I will be researching the Acra 1640 extensively.

There is another Pacific Rim manufacturer who sells the same machine: Sun Master.

I agree that borrowing $12,000 for five years at 23% APR is completely stupid.
Sun Master is the manufacturer. I have one and it's a very nice machine.

Mark, I think Paco got the RML 1640 which has a 2" spindle bore but the TL 1640 which appears to be what QMT is importing has a 2.55" spindle bore.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Back