PM-1660TL

Not to start a whole conversation about it, but I had a nightmarish personal tragedy in my family a few days before I bought this machine. For better or worse, I needed some mental relief. This lathe has been my dream machine. I don’t have any interests other than metalworking.

Erik,

You won't regret buying the lathe, I think most of understand how this hobby can be a refuge from the storm. Stay strong my friend....

John

Yes, I do not have one although I would really like to get one in the future. I'm pretty sure I've seen pics of them installed fitting nicely with the back splash in place. I would think for that quality of machine it would most definitely fit.

I wonder why the PM-1660TL has a reducing sleeve in the through spindle.

It might have something to do with the fact that the PM machine has a 2.55” through spindle. The other manufacturers appear to have a through spindle just over 2” (e.g. 2-1/16”).

With the aforementioned reducing sleeve, the PM-1660TL has an MT4 at both the tailstock & spindle.

At least one of the other similar machines discussed has an MT6 taper at the spindle (and MT4 on the tailstock).

EDIT: The MT6 to MT4 reducing sleeve is installed when the operator wants to use an MT4 taper tool in the headstock end. Now that I have the lathe, I usually leave this reducing sleeve out in order to take advantage of the large through spindle.

Last edited:
I wonder why the PM-1660TL has a reducing sleeve in the through spindle.

It might have something to do with the fact that the PM machine has a 2.55” through spindle. The other manufacturers appear to have a through spindle just over 2” (e.g. 2-1/16”).

With the aforementioned reducing sleeve, the PM-1660TL has an MT4 at both the tailstock & spindle.

At least one of the other similar machines discussed has an MT6 taper at the spindle (and MT4 on the tailstock).
Looks like it has a very odd taper. TS is MT4. HS is P70mm taper. I'm to tired to search for more info tonight.

I ordered the factory installed DRO. I really hope that the taper attachment and DRO scale don’t interfere with one another.

EDIT: PM took such great care of me & installed both the DRO & taper attachment at the factory in PA. Setup on my end was a cake walk.

Last edited:
I am definitely going to put a QCTP on this. I wonder if this will be BXA or CXA.

EDIT: CXA is best, but BXA will function.

Last edited:
Looks like it has a very odd taper. TS is MT4. HS is P70mm taper. I'm to tired to search for more info tonight.

All of the tailstocks that I’ve seen on these types are MT4. This appears to be universal.

That's a good point never thought about the DRO scales.

It would be a matter of installing a DRO scale on this:
B7BD8966-B820-49DA-A53C-D94ACDBD6F8D.jpeg

Back