PM-25 Unbox and Install - Houston, we have a problem!

jheinen

Registered
Registered
My new PM-25 arrived today.

Unboxed, and everything looks good.

Got the stand bolted to the floor:

Went to hoist it, but the pallet is in the way of the hoist. I've got the arm extended as far as it will go. Not sure what to do other than try lifting the thing by hand, which seems like an all-around bad idea. Anyone have any ideas?

Solved. with the chain fully extended I could reach the lift straps. I eased it up and slid it to the end of the pallet. Now the problem is that the lift straps are too long to allow for enough clearance of the hoist to fit where it's going to go. I'm putting it under a loft in my garage, and there's about seven feet of headroom. I'll have to get some shorter straps so that it lifts close to the top of the machine.

It's set up. Cleaned off the goop that was on it and it RUNS! :p The alignment pins I made helped greatly with getting it set on the stand. Now I guess I need to tram it and set up the vise. I supposed I should wait to make chips until the oil I ordered arrives? Also, any tips on removing the chip guard? I can see already that it will be a pain to have it there.

Remove the guard mount, remove the vertical shaft, reinstall the mount. Presto Chango. The swrich that is in it is normally closed, so with the rod out the circuit is complete.

Didn't know you were on this forum J, the last question you asked on
the blade smith's forum will really get the answers you seek on this one, have fun with it..........:beer:

Ok, got the mill trammed to within .0005" across about 8". I then tried to mount the vise, however the T-bolts supplied with the 5" high-precision vise are too large for the T-slots on the PM-25. How have others dealt with this? I'd try milling the bolts, however it seems that I'd need the vise to do that? Just buy smaller T-bolts? One other issue, the whole thing wobbles a little. I have the stand bolted to a concrete floor, however it still tilts back and forth a bit when I push on it. Is that going to be a problem, or just live with it?

**UPDATE** I found two t-bolts in the toolbox supplied with the mill which solved the problem!

Last edited:
Back