PM-25MV Collet options

Jmanb13

Registered
Registered
I just got my new PM-25MV setup yesterday and I need to get some tooling for it.

I currently have a set of ER32 collets that I use for my lathe and small work holding, so I considered getting an R8 to ER32 chuck. I know the R8 to ER32 chuck would limit my vertical space compared with just the R8 collets.

Since a value set of R8 collets is about the same cost as a R8 to to ER32 chuck, I figured I would just get the R8 set so that I have both options. Any reason not to go this route?

You'd loose the length of the chuck extension beyond the R8 mount, insignificant in most cases. You won't be using any collets larger than 3/4 in your mill, so there'll be no restriction there. As I understand it , the 32 collets go to 13/16. Sounds like a winner. I use the R8 collets, have plenty of Z space, though movement (distance) is limited to about 1 3/4 inches.

I bought an ER 25 value set with an R8 adapter. I've used it a couple of times, but I use my collets more for my lathe and Rotary Table. Nice to have the choice though for very little money.

You want an R8 collet set for a mill. Nice to have both.

I used R8 collets in my PM25 for two reasons:

One, to keep the cutter as close to the spindle bearing as possible (less flex/chatter).

And two, I wanted to keep the head as low as possible on the column to keep the machine as stiff as it can be. The lower the head, the stiffer the machine.

Thanks all. I went ahead and went with the R8 collets. More options is always good :D

Back