PM-25MV delivery and setup pictures, power feed issue.

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
So I received the PM-25MV with no serious shipping damage. The only problem was scratches and scuffing on the blue paint which I am fine to touch up. The freight driver was willing to wheel it up into the garage so that was appreciated.

The only problem I had was installing the power feed. I am quite sure that they sent me the wrong limit switch. Worse yet, I cracked a small gray bracket which appears to be cast aluminum. I will contact PM to ask about the limit switch issue and see if I can obtain a replacement bracket. I was not tightening the screw terribly hard, but it cracked while I was tightening it so I will accept responsibility. I should have been more aware that cast iron is more brittle (or, more to the point, less ductile) than the materials that I am used to working with.

So here is a ridiculous amount of photos. I had considered putting the mill on casters, but I was actually out of money so I just used two 1/2" anchor bolts. I left plenty of room to walk around the back of the mill as well as roll welding carts back there.

I cleaned all of the shipping grease with denatured alcohol, and I put on a thin layer of 3-in-1 oil. Hopefully that oil is okay.

At some point, I will touch up the white paint on the castings. A lot of it flaked off, which I am not worried about.

I put back on the hand wheel, and I will pursue the power feed installation when I get a limit switch that fits I will report here how I did obtaining the replacement bracket. My backup plan is to fab a replacement bracket out of 6061 aluminum plate.
IMG_6517.JPG
IMG_6520.JPG
IMG_6521.JPG
IMG_6531.JPG
IMG_6536.JPG

Last edited:
I rented a beam lifter to raise it up. This made it very easy for two guys. Lining up the bolts to get through the base casting, chip tray and stand took awhile.
IMG_6550.JPG
IMG_6554.JPG
IMG_6562.JPG
IMG_6570.JPG
IMG_6575.JPG

Reactions: jsh
The friend who helped me is a generation older than me, and he always teaches me a great deal. Working with him is like being in school (in a good way!).
IMG_6576.JPG
IMG_6579.JPG
IMG_6582.JPG
IMG_6598.JPG
DWNN4148.JPG

If you are ever going to install a power feed, you need to have NLGI No. 2 grease. I did not find it at the hardware store, but I found some at the auto supply store. This is graphite based lubricant.
IMG_6611.JPG
IMG_6617.JPG
IMG_6624.JPG
IMG_6640.JPG
IMG_6641.JPG

Some of the pictures appear to be the same, but upon closer inspection you will see that they were taken before and after the cleaning.

I thought the mill had a power vertical feed, but I don't see one.

Also, I learned that you engage the precision ("fine") vertical (spindle) feed by engaging it with the circular knurled knob located at the center of the three handled spindle control (like you have on your drill press). Also, there is a z-stop lever on the left side of the head.

I was happy that everything works on the mill. The action is smooth enough.

I am actually still trying to master the use of the x- and y-axes table locks. These are levers located at the front of the machine.

IMG_6642.JPG
IMG_6645.JPG
IMG_6647.JPG

The T-nuts that came with the PM vise are too large for the dovetails in the table. I am planning on using the T-nuts in my PM 58 piece steel clamping kit and a quality bolt and washer (Grade 8) from the hardware store.

Congrats on the new toy - looks like a nice little mill.

Congrats on the new toy - looks like a nice little mill.
Thanks. I didn’t ever think about buying a mill or lathe until I went to school 18 months ago for bicycle frame building. Using a mill for the tube coping is a quick way to get to a great fit up.

As you know, great fit up makes the welding job easier.

My buddy and I were disappointed that we failed to get the power feed installed. It is not often when a project ends in defeat.

I have yet to compose my email to PM regarding the power feed issue. I am curious if a replacement bracket is available. Hopefully somebody who is installing this power feed will read this and go easy on the mounting bolt for this cast aluminum bracket.

I am also perplexed why the limit switch didn’t fit. The limit switch was marked “New Limit Switch”.

Not sure what went wrong with the power feed bracket. I have an Align power feed on my RF-31 and it went on without a hitch. However, the Align units are made in Taiwan so fitment is possibly better? When a casting cracks, its often because there is someplace on the casting that is not flat. I hope PM is able to help with this. Otherwise, you have to machine one from flat stock ... luckily you have a mill now!

I read a few posts about people overdoing the effort on the mounting bolts and breaking the bracket on these power feeds. Luckily, I read those before I installed mine. I torqued them softer than I was inclined to, knowing they were fine thread clamp bolts, and it hasn't moved at all. This is a case where going easy on the spinach before grabbing the wrench is the thing to do.

Back